Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil consumption issues- oil separators

Stock M50 in my 86 325.

So I had a bit of oil in the intake, not terrible but noticeable. I decided after some reading to put the "cyclone" oil separator on.

It looks like this.

Seems simple enough, in the bottom port, out the top and weld a nipple to the bottom of the dipstick for the drain. I capped off the small line that runs from the valve cover to the manifold. (it seemed to me it could be a major source of the oil as it always has a vacuum on it.)

The problem is now i have oil puddling in the manifold, on cold starts it fogs out the area like the valve seals are bad (they have 1200 miles on them)

"Fixing" the issue made it 10 times worse. Ready to put it back to stock and forget about it. The engine made it 140k without a separator.

We use the OBD2 separator on all our swap cars including m/s50s and it works great. Pretty sure that separator you showed isnt meant for alot of vacuum, just some.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

It's hooked to the factory spot in the elbow before the throttle body. I didn't think there would have been alot of vacuum there.

Are you mounting the obd2 stuff under the intake or off to the side somewhere?

Comment

using m50manifold.com kit.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Neat but for that price i guess back to stock it goes since no one else has any ideas. the stock setup worked the first 140k miles.

Comment

I think this is a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" type situation. A little oil in the mani isn't going to hurt anything IMO. My mani has some decent oil in it but my valves and pistons are clean as a whistle (~120K miles) and oil consumption is basically unmeasurable.

Comment

Working...
            X