Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87' 318i m50 swap, best tranny to run ?

Hi

I'm about to swap a m50 in my 87' e30 powered by a m10. After a few researches, I've found out that it originally came w/ a 240 Getrag gearbox. Well from what i've firstly heard, it is a direct swap on the 24v engine but it ain't, cause 240s came w/ differents bolt paterns on m10 and m42.
    So I need to change my gearbox to fit the m50. The question is, which one to choose ? Would a 318is 240 need any mod to fit the 318i ? (Drivetrain, cross member..) or is it bolt on ? Would a 260 or zf be better ?
    The car will be daily driven and the engine nearly stock so i don't need a 300+hp gearbox, just one who can handle the m50 power in a good way.

Any infos will help, thanks in advance

getrag out of 1992-1995 325i would be the best match

Comment

I am partial to the ZF but that's because it was standard on the '95 M3 that my S50 came out off.

Comment

I'd agree that the Getrag 250 would be the best bet. It was originally paired with the M50 and will be cheaper than the ZF. However, I've seldom gotten a used 250 that didn't grind in second. The ZF is a more robust unit.

Comment

Thanks for answers guys. Can you tell me why would the Getrag 250 be a better bet than a 240 (from M42) ? It seems that a 240 w/ m20 flywheel, m20 starter and e36 325i driveshaft does the job pretty well however.
          Last edited by Paulow; 11-12-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Early m50 swapped e30 w/ ZF320Z

I finally found a cheap ZF 320z from a 328ci which is only 100k km. I do have some quetions however.

Firstly, will a complete m50 clutch assembly work w/ the zf ? I do have the flywheel, so if it works I would only have to buy a clutch kit. I've seen that m50 stuff is 240mm rather than m52 stuff is 280mm so it might be ok, right ?

Secondly, do you guys know if the original m10 brace will be able to welcome the ZF ?

Comment

I don't think the M10 brace will work. I think you need an M20 brace. My S50/ZF works great with the brace from my Eta.

Comment

It seems that the m20 brace doesn't sit a the best angle from what I've heard, are you sure it fits right ?

Comment

Using stock M20/Getrag 5 speed trans brace here with my ZF trans and it bolted right up.
                  Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Yeah that's what I finally discovered. So the plan is: e36 m50b25nv, m20 flywheel/clutch and gearshift linkage, e21 323i release bearing and tranny mounts, e46 328ci zf 320, e36 325tds driveshaft (same as 328i) and e30 3.25 differential. Sounds good ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulow View Post
                      Yeah that's what I finally discovered. So the plan is: e36 m50b25nv, m20 flywheel/clutch and gearshift linkage, e21 323i release bearing and tranny mounts, e46 328ci zf 320, e36 325tds driveshaft (same as 328i) and e30 3.25 differential. Sounds good ?
                      My only concern is the shift linkage. I think you need the shift linkage from a 328i or M3. The M20/getrag shift linkage won't work I don't think.

I have essentially the same setup (mine is an S50 and M3 clutch) and with the 3.25 I am at 4K at 80 mph on 205/45/16. Just an FYI.

Comment

Zf
                        www.MarkertMotorworks.com

Dyno Thread.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=327183

Comment

I'm using 328i shift linkage and it's right on the money.
                          Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Thanks for info M3PO, it sounds pretty good!
                            You guys rock, thanks a lot for helping. I'll definitely go for an E36 325 tds gearshift linkage, it is the same as 328i's and easy to find here in France.

Comment

Working...
                            X