No announcement yet.

s54 swap no fuel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not hook up a brake or clutch switch.

I'm not sure if there's differences in the SMG vs. manual ECU flashes, though.

If you don't have a signal going to the coils, then I'd look at if you've hooked up the crank position sensor, and if the sensor is faulty.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The only difference is the transmission type code - it's I believe 0x43 for SMG and 0x03 for 6MT (been a long time since I looked at an MSS54 bin, but it's easily found).

However it would start either way, it would just be in limp mode if it's set wrong.

The only thing you need connected to get the coils/injectors to fire is the crank sensor. Seriously - nothing else really matters (not saying it will run well, but everything will fire and it will attempt to start).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OK so where I am now.... Plugged the car into Delphi Autocom last night and checked the fault codes. Also compared what was and wasn't working between the e36 and e46 using the same re programmed ecu in both and then the known working unprogrammed ecu in the e46. Crank sensor gave a reading and didn't show a fault so I'm going to rule that out for the moment

MSS54 is e46's ecu and MSS54HP is the e36's ecu.

E36 with MSS54HP:
        Won't start - No Fuel no spark no injector pulse and throttle actuator is not moving and the following codes:

E46 with MSS54HP:
        Starts but is in limp mode and is difficult to rev but throttle actuator is moving with following codes:

E46 with MSS54:
        Starts as normal with the following codes:

Edit: didn't take a picture of this as there was nothing other than a throttle pedal code

I also was in contact with the guy that did the ECU. I'm not familiar with what goes on in the background with editing the BIN files/Hex code or whatever its referred to as but he says he has made changes so that EWS rolling code is no longer required to match between the ECU/DME and the EWS module. I think this means that I will need an EWS module to feed pin 33 of my x60004.
        • Is there a way that the DME can be programmed to not have any signal to x60004 or that I could put positive or negative to pin 33 to fufil the DME's need for a signal from EWS?
        • Is the DME pin 33 looking for something more complex than a simple positive or negative to start the car that can't be replicated with a couple of relays? (I'm miserable and don't want to buy an EWS unit if I can avoid it and I don't exactly want one either from a point of view of failure/reliability)
        Last edited by Dave V; 03-29-2017, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I don't think whoever did your EWS delete knew what they were doing. All you have to do is change two bytes and EWS isn't needed at all. Also most of those error codes should have been disabled as well.

I wouldn't fool around with an EWS module / pin 33 - get the DME flashed by somebody more familiar with MSS54.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I don't think whoever did your EWS delete knew what they were doing. All you have to do is change two bytes and EWS isn't needed at all. Also most of those error codes should have been disabled as well.

I wouldn't fool around with an EWS module / pin 33 - get the DME flashed by somebody more familiar with MSS54.
            I'm not going to be hard on the guy that did it, his main specialty is installing carbon airboxes to e46's from what I can tell so I don't think he really deals with swaps too often, I asked him to do the swap stuff in addition to changing the DME to look for a MAP sensor to run my airbox. He hasn't charged me for anything swap related and he is going over and above on emails. Also PM sent Nando. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

I converted and coded the ECU for Dave, I have what I call a good knowledge of the MSS52 and MSS54. I even wrote an application to allow those with 'less' knowledge to adjust things themselves without having to delve into the hex.

As you can see, byte 8A has been set to a non zero value, thus disabling EWS.

With regard to the unsuppressed DTCs, I never suppress DTCs on the first flash as I like to ensure that the car starts / runs first. DTCs can then be suppressed as required, all of which I have explained to Dave. It's pointless 'blanket' suppressing DTCs as every conversion is different.

There are 2 DTCs in Dave's screenshots that need attention, the first is the inlet manifold pressure code (which is present as Dave hasn't plumbed in the MAP sensor which is required as part of the CSL software he is running).

The second is not identified correctly by his Delphi software, and that is '0B' which is the intake camshaft signal DTC. Obviously a faulty camshaft position sensor is going to cause problems.

Cheers,

Martyn

Comment

Working...
              X