Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who should i have wrench on my E28 in Portland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who should i have wrench on my E28 in Portland?

i used to be spoiled w/ stephen @ vintage euro, but he moved away last year. anyone have suggestions for a go-to guy (or shop) in portland?

my '85 535i has been in the garage for about 8 mos. was running great last summer, but the last time i drove it there was a loud squealing noise upon startup (that got louder when i turned the wheel). also interested in a cooling system overhaul (if deemed necessary), and some other minor items.

would like to get her back to daily driver status asap. any assistance would be appreciated, tia

-grant in south pdx

PM sent
    sigpic

Comment

Is this Kenneth's old car? I can do a few things if you want.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

yes it is, thx for the replies. PM replied, Curt. Austin, i may hit you up as well. had a feeling this group would be helpful :)

Comment

I miss having Steven work on my cars too. I go to Dynasport.

Comment

hey Curt, we obviously suck at connecting via phone and your inbox is full, so here it is:

85' 535i
            unknown mileage (best guess is right at 200K, odo was swapped and the current one shows nearly 300k, but it's allegedly way off).

i've owned the car about a year and a half, and drove it 1-2 days a week for about 9 months up until last fall, when i had a couple things happen in about a weeks' time:
            1. the battery stopped holding a charge
            2. i was in downtown pdx on a hot ass day and the needle went past 3/4 way up at a stoplight. i was able to make it home with no further issue, and this did not happen again in the last few times i drove it
            3. the last time i started her there was a loud squealing at startup, which got much louder when i turned the wheel. i drove it around the block and put it in the garage.

this was about 8 months ago. haven't had the extra cash to pull it out since then. now i'm motivated to get her rolling again (was running strong as hell prior to this).

there are a couple cosmetic things i would like done if the main stuff doesn't get too pricey, and there is the issue of the sunroof which is off track and sinks in the corner when closed (lets rain in to the drainage channels, which of course are blocked so the water can make it's way on to the passenger floor). for this reason the car has never seen the rain since iv'e owned it.

so basically it's in the garage dusty as shit with a dead battery. i rolled it back into the driveway last weekend and tried to jump it, but i'm guessing it needs plugs as well since it didn't start.

i've always loved and owned oldish bmw's but i absolutely SUCK at working on them....don't have an engineering bone in my body i guess. i've been lucky in the past (first in phoenix and then here w/ stephen @ vintage euro) to have a local guy like you who works out of his home and let's me provide parts and stuff to save cost.

1st question: are you still interested in taking her on?

if so, then 2nd question: do you have a trailer? ;)

grant

Comment

Working...
            X