Burning oil... Rebuild? Head work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning oil... Rebuild? Head work?

M20B25 87 325is Turbo with MS. Switched from auto to manual about 30K ago with 127K miles total now. I don't normally push her... But I made 1 highway pull at 14psi boost and all of a sudden she started running quiet... Not the normal M20 ticking.... She started burning gobs of oil right after that... like a quart every 10 miles... smoke out the tailpipe.

I'm not looking to do a rebuild, if she needs more than head work I rather invest in a swap... whats the likelihood that an M20 @ 127K miles where 83K were as an auto... needs that type of work (rings)?

I know the whole leak down test bit will help me get an answer... but not till this weekend when I have time... Thank in advance...

there isnt a massive leak or anything to? 1 quart /10miles is alot does it drive ok normally other than smoking?

do a hot compression test (dry and again after adding oil into the cylinder) and from that see if you need to do a leakdown to find out the source
    Last edited by digger; 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

A quart every 10 miles? The engine holds about 5 qts. That's some serious leakage of oil. You could probably drain oil out of the exhaust pipe. I'll say the piston rings are shot.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        A quart every 10 miles? The engine holds about 5 qts. That's some serious leakage of oil. You could probably drain oil out of the exhaust pipe. I'll say the piston rings are shot.
        ^^^

Valve stem's wouldn't burn nearly that much oil so I would guess you destroyed your rings
        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I'm goin' right for a hole in a piston!
          I don't think it could burn that much oil if you left the rings OUT!

heh

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yep... the variable in there was how long it took me to drive those 10 miles sorry... Was sitting in traffic for about 45 minutes... Soon as I saw my oil pressure not sitting where it normally sits at idle I pulled over and walked to a gas station and put in a quart cause she was about that low.

She does run well still but when she is cranking she DEFINITELY cranks a crap load quicker... so my compression is being lost somewhere.

Going to do the compression test this weekend dry and with oil. If it is rings... going to do a swap if I have to pull the block anyway. Just hate to have to get another turbo manifold and probably redo my exhaust and of course all my darn MS settings and IC piping. Wish I knew someone in the Tampa area that could rebuild my M20 and prep it for the new HX35 I bought the week before this crap happened... key thing is the budget...

Comment

Working...
            X