M50b25tu help for upcoming swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50b25tu help for upcoming swap

So I've read around and I've soaked my brain with as much information as I can but the only thing that really confuses me is when it comes to this specific engine its a single vanos engine from a 95 525i that used an automatic engine but ill be using my 87 325e G-260 manual transmission.

So do I NEED the exact harness from the 95 525i? Can't use a e36 because its non vanos?

ECU..this is the thing the EWS, I can't just swap another ECU without EWS in huh? It must be the one meant for the engine? I've read that there are chips or you just wire it an certain way to disable it?
    This is the information I found about the ECU.

525i/iT
    E34
    M50tu/B25
    1/95-->
    0 261 200 413
    Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

The cluster on my 325e doesn't have high RPM's like the 325i, will that cause an issue in the swap? Should I swap it for an early model 325i cluster?

Are there any other differences in M50 non vanos and M50b25tu single vanos when it comes to swapping? I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward it's just that ECU/Harness hiccup right?

Thanks guys for any tips or advice that you guys could give me

http://www.bornfrompassion.net/

So do I NEED the exact harness from the 95 525i? Can't use a e36 because its non vanos?
    No - the harness out of a VANOS equipped E36 will work too. If you can find a harness from a 525i, that's probably the easiest way to go, but an E36 VANOS one will work fine too. The harness from a non vanos E36 will not work.

ECU..this is the thing the EWS, I can't just swap another ECU without EWS in huh? It must be the one meant for the engine? I've read that there are chips or you just wire it an certain way to disable it?
    This is the information I found about the ECU.

525i/iT
    E34
    M50tu/B25
    1/95-->
    0 261 200 413
    Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II
    You can swap another ECU in. The way we refer to ECU's is with the label color and the last 3 digits of the part number. The ECU you want is either a "red label 413" or a "silver label 413". Based on what you listed there I can only assume that it's a silver label 413 - because the only difference between the red label and silver label (they're the same part number) is that the silver label has EWS. I believe 95 and up came with EWS from the factory. You can use the silver label ECU just fine, but you'll need to replace the main chip with one designed specifically to delete EWS. If you can find a red label 413 ECU (and it'll probably be cheaper to buy the red label ECU than it would be to buy an EWS delete chip), that will work without a delete chip - it never had EWS to begin with.

The cluster on my 325e doesn't have high RPM's like the 325i, will that cause an issue in the swap? Should I swap it for an early model 325i cluster?
    The cluster will still work, but if I remember correctly, the needle will try and go past your redline, and the tach will be useless past that point. Your best bet is to replace the cluster - but the one you have now won't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure an early model 325i cluster is plug and play but I'm not really on the up and up with early model stuff.

Are there any other differences in M50 non vanos and M50b25tu single vanos when it comes to swapping? I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward it's just that ECU/Harness hiccup right?
    The M50nv uses a green label 403 ECU and its respective harness. Other than that no other differences come to mind. It really shouldn't matter in the end, you can't pull an ECU or harness from a car that had an M50nv, and if you're swapping a M50tu, you won't need to worry about the differences.

Comment

Working...
    X