No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not that far from me. What say we meet up some afternoon? I'd love to see your car. Lunch and beer on me, of course.

Sean

Comment

Woot!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
      HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
      **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Read the build thread in my sig, all the info is in there.
        You need to use all the emissions equipment, plumbing exhaust etc. from an obd2 e36.
        Project
        Feedback

Comment

***cross post from my cars thread***

Well, I still didnt pass but the new Magnaflow cat made a HUGE difference. NOx are not an issue anymore, now its just figuring out the HC issue. Im starting to wonder if replacing the coils will help because it seems like its not burning the mixture enough, or theres still just too much fuel.<br />

<br />

Im also wondering if the thermostat might not be the right one (though I think we stuck with the original OEM temp) and its not letting the car get truly hot enough.

Still not a victory, but we are making good solid progress, which is more than what I can say about the previous times I went to the ref.
          Last edited by 2mAn; 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

bump... any ideas ????
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Are your O2 sensors fairly new?

Your engine is pretty far from stock, what tune are you using? Maybe too rich?

Normally if it was just from your cats not being hot enough, you'd still pass the 25mph test. But you failed both tests...

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                Are your O2 sensors fairly new?

Your engine is pretty far from stock, what tune are you using? Maybe too rich?

Normally if it was just from your cats not being hot enough, you'd still pass the 25mph test. But you failed both tests...
                Its OBD1 so theres just one, and its now ~10months old. Its a new Bosch unit that I installed right before I started this fun process

Its really not that different from stock. The only aftermarket part is the tune. I am kinda wishing I had gotten a WAR chip because then I couldve gotten this tuned directly to the car, but listening to members here over my mechanic lead me to a TRM chip thats tuned for my setup. They've been helpful and sent me another chip, Im in contact with them now to see if they can make a few more adjustments to get me in the sweet spot.

Im wondering if I shouldve some more miles on the new cat, because it had ~ 40 miles on it... again, another recommendation here was to get the new cat and go straight to the ref. Even he said, that I shouldve driven it a little more, but Im clueless to this stuff.

Is there anything ignition related that could help? Does the cat need more miles? The car was at rest again for a while, but he did go through the 15mph test, then he stopped and let it reset the clock and tested it again at 15mph
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Its OBD1 so theres just one, and its now ~10months old. Its a new Bosch unit that I installed right before I started this fun process

Its really not that different from stock. The only aftermarket part is the tune. I am kinda wishing I had gotten a WAR chip because then I couldve gotten this tuned directly to the car, but listening to members here over my mechanic lead me to a TRM chip thats tuned for my setup. They've been helpful and sent me another chip, Im in contact with them now to see if they can make a few more adjustments to get me in the sweet spot.

Im wondering if I shouldve some more miles on the new cat, because it had ~ 40 miles on it... again, another recommendation here was to get the new cat and go straight to the ref. Even he said, that I shouldve driven it a little more, but Im clueless to this stuff.

Is there anything ignition related that could help? Does the cat need more miles? The car was at rest again for a while, but he did go through the 15mph test, then he stopped and let it reset the clock and tested it again at 15mph
                  Your car is being tested as an M50? The cat your using is for an M50? I wonder if maybe the cat you're using isn't enough for your larger, higher output engine.

Is there a difference between an S50B30US cat and an M50B25 cat? The whole exhaust has a different part number, but I wonder if the cats themselves are different. Both engines I know have the same smog limits.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                    Your car is being tested as an M50? The cat your using is for an M50? I wonder if maybe the cat you're using isn't enough for your larger, higher output engine.

Is there a difference between an S50B30US cat and an M50B25 cat? The whole exhaust has a different part number, but I wonder if the cats themselves are different. Both engines I know have the same smog limits.
                    I thought the Magnaflow parts were the same, but I looked it up and the S50 is individual cats while the M50 is a dual in and out
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

too rich :P

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                        too rich :P
                        haha yes, definitely yes. but is it all in the tune?

any other way to fix this? is there any possibility that my old igntion coils need to be replaced??

ps. Ive really been considering going to OBD2 once this is all done, but thats a lot of work for what is probably a little gain
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          haha yes, definitely yes. but is it all in the tune?

any other way to fix this? is there any possibility that my old igntion coils need to be replaced??

ps. Ive really been considering going to OBD2 once this is all done, but thats a lot of work for what is probably a little gain
                          Hard to say conclusively, thus why OBD1 sucks. No data feedback. could be plugs/coils/vac leak/exhaust leak before O2, etc...

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                          Full Product Line Tuning
                          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                            Hard to say conclusively, thus why OBD1 sucks. No data feedback. could be plugs/coils/vac leak/exhaust leak before O2, etc...
                            Ok, stupid, basic question... Lets ignore the possibility of leaks, what can I test/ check on the the ignition related stuff to make sure they are proper and correct?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Not alot you can do to test it other than some resistance tests which ive found to not always be correct (like OBD1 crank sensor, can be dead but ohm out fine)

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I've been trying to wrap my head around this because it really is feeling like an ignition issue. I plan to replace the Coils simply because they are old and suspicious, but Im thinking I should change the plugs at the same time. Is there a "hotter" plug that could help this issue?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X