S50 code 1222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 code 1222

It was raining like crazy the other day and my car started to run like crap. Its an s50 swap with an ebay header, home made exh. with the o2 sensor mounted horizontially in the exhaust right behind the trans.
    I have put a new o2 sensor in already (like a year ago though), its a fairly new MAF too (and anyway, I unplugged that to try the substitute value, and it ran the same)

I cant find any intake leaks with carb cleaner spray. everything is pretty new as far as intake gaskets anyway.

It runs so bad when cold, you can barely even give it past 1/4 throttle or it sputters and has no power. It gets like 95% better when warmed up, but still runs rich and burns a lot of gas..

I was thinking the DME coolant temp sensor was faulty because the problem gets better when warmed up.. I changed that yesterday and its still the same.

Anyone else have stomp code 1222 and very poor running only when cold? Im also wondering what my TPS is doing but I cant hook up to this thing to see any values. I actually work at a dealer but the lastest update for ISTA seems to not want to connect to old systems.

Basically I was just hoping to find someone who had this code and these same running symptoms. Ive had huge vacuum leaks on this engine before and it didnt like to idle, but would run fine off idle (The hoses at the intake elbow would fall off sometimes and do this)

I have the exact same issue. esp when cold. (OBD1 s52) Check engine light will light between 2000 and 3000 sometimes, and then go out by itself. If i do stomp test I only get 1222

Mine also doesn't like to go full throttle without falling on it face.

Does it run okay on the highway at a steady cruise? mine does..but if i try to get on the throttle sometimes it sputters. I'm convinced my car is running way to rich, and that is causing the sputter.

Did your car run correctly before the rain?? Mine has always run like this since I finished the swap a year ago.

Do you have a wideband o2? Have you checked the O2 heater?

Mine at cold start idle (9 to 9.5 afr)
    once warm, at idle it trys to go to 14-15 afr
    Wide Open throttle 9 to 9.5 afr

Jay

Comment

All stock electronics, stock o2 (bosch)

I just realized I can actually hook it up to ISTA if I type in the VIN. the only problem was finding an E36 vin to punch in, in order for the tester to connect (cant use the e30 vin haha) ...or maybe I could have?

anyway Yes it does run ok on the highway. its just when you try to mash the gas under load, it falls on its face

Comment

Def keep me posted what you find out. Sounds like exactly what my car does. Ive replaced almost everything, with no change.

Did it start all of a sudden on yours?

If you ease into the throttle does it do it?

Jay
        Last edited by dunebuggyjay; 08-16-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I would just go onto ebay and find an m3 e36 listing and just use that vin they have listed just so you can hook up the ISTA. :)

Comment

Funny, thats exactly what I did! but once the tester was hooked to the actual DME, it changed the vin to the actual Vin in the DME. I wrote that vin down in a safe place for next time, but honestly the factory diagnostics suck on this thing. I can get in, read and clear codes, see sensor voltages with the engine off, but if I start the engine, I lose connection to the DME. I tried going back in from the start with the engine running, thinking a key cycle must have broken the ISTA head connection, but that still didn't work.
            I guess they just don't like to diagnose with the engine on.

Yes the loading up issue shows itself (when warm) when you ease into the throttle. you can floor it, rev it up, etc.. and it clears out and runs great. this makes me think its super rich. (that's what steered me toward a coolant temp sensor originally)
            Just for giggles I'm going to do a fuel pressure check (the regulator might be allowing too much fuel pressure? but if that's the case, why would it run so poor cold? cold engines like more fuel, no?)
            Ill keep this thread updated with what I Find. I had to concentrate what time I had tonight on my suspension... My GC coil over setup is basically falling out of the car from too much street use. I put a Z3 M roadster stock suspension in it.. works pretty good actually (my car is 5 lugged)

Comment

....And this morning the car is completely fine. Light went off and its running perfectly! WTF? I didnt change anything, so it may be an issue with moisture

Comment

UGGHH. Mines def not from water. Was hoping you were able to figure out what the issue was. Ive been battling this for almost a year. Glad yours seems to be okay though.

Do you think it was your maf?

That's about the only thing i have not replaced on my car. (that and the ICV)

My car is boosted, so I have a diff maf (slot style)

Comment

Both my MAF and my O2 are about three years old, oem bosch parts.. I doubt if the maf is bad, and I unplugged it anyway to try the substitute value.. which wasnt any better.
                  Im not completely out of the woods.. the light does come back on now and then, and I get a little bit of a rough condition when I lightly accelerate

Comment

Ok originally I thought I had driven It with the o2 disconnected and it acted the same, but last night I unplugged it and drove over 20 miles and it ran fine, without the stumbling/rough running (overly rich) My buddy let me connect to his snap on scanner and it was showing the o2 at full lean, so the dme was just dumping gas. I have a little bit of a connector sealing issue I noticed when I took it apart, so Im going to make sure the pins arent full of water/corrosion.. but if thats all good i have an o2 on its way anyhow

Comment

I'm having this code come up as well. but mine kicks in if I floor the accelerator. if I roll on the throttle it's fine. floor it and it starts to shudder.

I haven't checked for a vacuum leak but at WOT the a/f ratio is at 11.

I just recently chaged the rubber lines going into the fuel rail but I can still smell gas. There is none leaking but I can smell it. It's on the intake side but have no clue where it could be coming from.

Are there lines that pull vacuum that if leaking would expel fuel vapor?

running an s50 with vf supercharger.

Comment

Not sure about your issue 325isdan, but I installed that o2 and the problem is gone

Comment

any update on this? I'm seeing the same thing. 1990 wtih m52b28 obd1, 1222 code seen and lack of power up top.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

proper scanner will find the problem quickly

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Mine turned out to be the MAF sensor was bad. Replaced it, and all is good.
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Working...
                              X