Uneven front wheel poke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven front wheel poke

For some reason my front drivers side wheel pokes more than the passenger side wheel. I've heard of other e30 drivers having the same issue.
    Is this common?
    What could cause it?
    How can I fix this?

Here's a pic, you can kinda see the difference

lol! people lean more on the driver's side fender at car meets. pull your fender by hand. :P

Comment

in the photo it looks pretty much the same to me.

What are the alignment values? do you have the same bushings for the control arms? are the control arms true?
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

same here, the picture doesn't really do the best job of showing the problem.

also, +1 on the alignment. I'm assuming the car drives straight and that the steering wheel is level going down the road?

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
          same here, the picture doesn't really do the best job of showing the problem.

also, +1 on the alignment. I'm assuming the car drives straight and that the steering wheel is level going down the road?
          Yeah I realized the pic is useless after posting lol. But it drives straight, but alignment isn't perfect. the poke on the drivers side is about 3-5mm more than the left.

Comment

Could incorrect caster cause this?

Comment

No. Caster is kind of like a reclining seat. Except the seat is a strut. No matter how far forwards or backwards you take the seat, nothing changes side-to-side... not sure if that's a good analogy or not.

Could be a difference in camber... maybe? Although you'd probably be able to tell.

One thing to note - what are your wheels, and where did you get them from? I'm really reaching here, but what are the chances you've got two different offsets?

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                No. Caster is kind of like a reclining seat. Except the seat is a strut. No matter how far forwards or backwards you take the seat, nothing changes side-to-side... not sure if that's a good analogy or not.

Could be a difference in camber... maybe? Although you'd probably be able to tell.

One thing to note - what are your wheels, and where did you get them from? I'm really reaching here, but what are the chances you've got two different offsets?
                I have camber plates both at -3 degrees. My wheels are HRE 505s.... I doubt that's it. Maybe it just needs an alignment I guess I'll get that done and go from there

Comment

Setting the camber plates based on the marks on them is not the correct way to go about it. You need an alignment done by a professional.

Comment

Try removing the stance works sticker, if that does not help...set the car on fire.
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Swank View Post
                      I have camber plates both at -3 degrees.
                      lol... it's probably remarkably close for a visual alignment, but yes, you should probably go get it checked at a shop. Did you ever get it aligned after slamming and camber-ing your car? If not, I'm amazed that you still have front tires.

Comment

The car was hit and never fixed properly. I've seen it many times.
                        '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                        '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                          Try removing the stance works sticker, if that does not help...set the car on fire.

Do you not have one on your sticker bombed fairing?

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                            I would set my car on fire if it looked like yours

Comment

Originally posted by 87shark View Post
                              I would set my car on fire if it looked like yours

Comment

Working...
                              X