M42 Radiator Electric Fan Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Radiator Electric Fan Options?

So I'm finishing up my swap and wanted to know what fan everyone runs with a M42 radiator and a M50. I have AC and already installed a high CFM fan on the front for the condenser with a lower temp switch. That would work most of the time by itself, but it gets hot as hell in Texas. There's not much space to work with so I was curious what size puller fan can I get away with? Model #s or links would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

For a non electric option see what i did at this link. Cheaper than electric and much more reliable/better cooling. Im in new orleans too so didnt wanna mess around.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=318672&page=3

Comment

I went with the 16" SPAL slim puller fan (model #30100400), and Massive's brackets. I modified two of the brackets, since the M42 core is not as wide as what he designed for. You could do the same or make something similar.

It's tight:

... but it works well enough. I use it manually via the AC button but it also comes on with the high temp switch.

I would honestly recommend that you (and anyone else) look into the E36-sized radiators. I just finished doing some work and drove my car all weekend, I was really pushing it with temps in the upper 80s. Above 80F the temp needle will move just past center in stop/go and at traffic lights, and the fan can hold it there, but it's obvious that the radiator is maxed out. On the highway or cruising above 30 mph it's fine. I don't have A/C and don't need to daily drive my car, if I did I'd go E36 for sure. In fact this reminds me that I do have an E36 radiator lying around..

Comment

Just like the "what oil to use" question you will get a ton of different answers to this question. IMO, because it is hot where you are, you should consider running a 6 cylinder sized radiator. Additionally, if your electrical pusher fan isn't cutting the mustard you probably won't be able to find an electric puller fan that will both out follow your pusher and fit at the sametime. mpowerful's mechanical option seems to be a good idea if you are considering on running both a pusher (electric) and puller (mechanical).

Comment

What stops me from running the M20 radiator is my lack of body hardware for the reservoir. My car is a 318i, so I'm missing the bracketry to hold the res in place and zip ties are not an option. Any ideas on that? I think the E36 res doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
            What stops me from running the M20 radiator is my lack of body hardware for the reservoir. My car is a 318i, so I'm missing the bracketry to hold the res in place and zip ties are not an option. Any ideas on that? I think the E36 res doesn't fit.
            It takes a little creativity to secure the M20 reservoir without zip ties but many have done it. M42club has a thread on it but I didn't see much on the details of mounting. I know there is the airbox mounting tab, perhaps that can be used. Alternatively, there is the older style expansion tank but it looks like even more work.

You've come this far and swapped your engine, mounting a coolant reservoir should not be insurmountable.

edit: here's the thread on M42club: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=8189.0
            Last edited by butters; 07-30-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I did a volvo fan with slightly modified volvo shroud and control module with a temp switch and manual override, right behind a full aluminum mishi radiator.
              = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Working...
              X