Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to E30 platform; Starting issue

SOLVED::: Reference post 14
    Hey guys going to make an intro thread pretty soon. I recently got a e30 sedan with a M50 swap. It was owned by a friend and it functioned fine before he let it sit. So I didnt expect the car to just fire up. I got a new battery but the car just cranks. I know it has spark as i put in some gas through the intake and there was a slight start. I looked at the fuse nothing bad.

Some questions
    Cant hear the FP pump prime Normal for the e30?

What is the DME? Where is it located?

Im trying to do the cheap stuff first before I start ripping out Fuel pumps.

I switched out some fuses for the relay but got nothing.

TO DO list
    Going to jump the FP relay.

Open for suggestions.
    Last edited by LegitimateIII; 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM.

Welcome to the forums! Ive been on here for some time now and still have posted an intro thread :p (I should probably do that soon).

1) The FP should prime for a second or 2.
    2) DME stand for digital engine management or something like that. Its the same thing as an ECU (engine control unit). AKA engine computer. Normally located in the glovebox.
    3) Check fuses, grounds, and relays. There is a possibility of the pump being bad if it sat for a year or so. It depends if the fuel inside it turned to a tar.
    4) I would def jump the pump relay first to see if it works. If it doesnt work, then you saved yourself a lot of time.
    :) Good luck!
    PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Ok so I didnt jump it as Im scared to short anything. I went to the junk yard and got like 3 DME relays and 2 FP relays. Nothing just cranks and cranks. So I noticed my gas gauge went down from the last 2 days.

How would I know if the cams are spinning. Just open the oil cap?

I spoke with my buddy and said the CPS crapped out on him 3 years ago so he replaced it. So is the CPS a part that craps out on this platform?

Comment

UPDATE: I replaced the Fuel pump with a 255 and nothing. Because the FP is not getting anypower.

Spark OK
        Car really wants to start with starting fluid but it just doesnt.
        Battery is good.
        Ran pump off my battery and it kicked on.

Picking up an oem CPS sensor tomorrow.

Will see.

Comment

Originally posted by LegitimateIII View Post
          UPDATE: I replaced the Fuel pump with a 255 and nothing. Because the FP is not getting anypower.

Spark OK
          Car really wants to start with starting fluid but it just doesnt.
          Battery is good.
          Ran pump off my battery and it kicked on.

Picking up an oem CPS sensor tomorrow.

Will see.
          OK sounds like its still a no fueling issue. If you want to check to see if it pumps gas, pull the line off the front of the fuel rail. Be warned if it has fuel it will be under pressure. If you don't get squirted then you still have an issue with getting fuel to the engine. I would say try to jump the relay. You don't start the car while doing this just put it in accessory mode and listen if there is no sound you may have a wiring issue. If there is a sound remove the wire and see if it starts. If it does it will die pretty quickly but you will no the relay is the issue or not.

Comment

The CPS seems like a good place to start, I don't know if it's different on M50's but on my M20 when the CPS went out I had no fuel or spark, so it seems interesting to me that you're getting spark.

Definitely jump the relay if the new CPS doesn't do anything.

Comment

UPDATE: I replaced the CRANK (CPS) brand hella and Camshaft sensor oem bosch. Pump is 255L wally with new filter.

Outcome is status quo. Just cranks its life away. I even hooked up jumpers to my DD (g37s) to give it extra juice. Strong cranks but nada.

Mainly there is not power to the FP**** so of course the pump wont work.

I jumped the Fuel pump and it ran.
              I had a master mechanic come over and he jumped the relay but we got no FP power?

He brought up it might be in lockout mode? because of armed alarm. Never heard of this.

AGAIN THIS CAR RAN BEFORE IT WAS LEFT TO SIT FOR 14 MONTHS.

The swap is a out of a M50.

The car has some aftermarket alarm hooked up.

Took a look at the DME. Snapped some pics for reference. Seems like the red label 413.

Check out the alarms in the bay. Looks like there are 2?
              Also there is a plug not connected in the glove box.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok so I found the fusible linke that powers the DME and other essential conponents.and it was in pristine condition. Like factory new. So I doubt its that. I tested some of my Main relays. Though on both i could not hear a click. There was like 200ohms of resistence and both got 12.1-12.2V. ?

Comment

Ok so I jumped the Fuel pump terminal. Let me know if i messed up. I took a small gauge wire and stuck it into 30 and 87. I didnt have a helper so I took the lines off and placed a towel. NOTHING! Bone dry. I also tried it with the lines connected nada. Ok maybe the ecu is fried (Red 413). Now I did the same thing with the 85 and 86 with my Multimeter got 11.7-11.9V. Again fusible link is like new condition. Do I have to go wire hunting?

Comment

13: Verify that the fuel pump fuse is not blown (the Bentley repair manual will detail the fuse locations). As a 100% test, check the fuse with an ohmmeter. Use the Bentley repair manual to locate the fuel pump relay. Jumper the relay as outlined in the Bentley repair manual (terminals 30 & 87 in the relay socket) and repeat the testing in step 12, but without turning on the ignition key. There should be a continuous 12-volts as long as the relay jumper is in place. Remove jumper wire when testing is complete.

YES, 12-volts – Fuel pump relay is likely faulty.

NO, 12-volts – go to step 14

14: Test for 12-volts at terminal 30 in the fuel pump relay socket. There should be continuous 12-volts regardless of key position.

YES, 12-volts – You likely have a short or open circuit between terminal 87 in the relay socket and the fuel pump connection. Further wire/circuit testing will be required.****

Stuck here! What should I do now?

Comment

Has that ecu been opened before? If so, then double check that there is still a 'chip' inside. I had a similar issue as this, when I opened up my ecu, the PO had taken the chip out before he sold me the ecu :/
                      PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Is there fuel pressure at the rail???? Is pressure correct??? FPR and filter working as they should? Injectors spraying???

If it "wants to start" with starting fluid then that tells me your fuel injection system isn't up to snuff OR DME isn't commanding fuel in.
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
                          Has that ecu been opened before? If so, then double check that there is still a 'chip' inside. I had a similar issue as this, when I opened up my ecu, the PO had taken the chip out before he sold me the ecu :/
                          I would say there is 95% chance it hasnt. At least not by my buddy who sold it to me. I just pulled it out and it was very hard to get out the harness. Now I just need a known working unit. ( i have a 413 red label) anything out there better?

DER E30
                          Is there fuel pressure at the rail???? Is pressure correct??? FPR and filter working as they should? Injectors spraying???

If it "wants to start" with starting fluid then that tells me your fuel injection system isn't up to snuff OR DME isn't commanding fuel in.

Dude I just cant get power to the FP thats my first hurdle.

Some more diagnostic testing I jumped the fuseable link and nothing. I recieve 12.5v on both sides.

Also when I jumpered the 30 and 87 on the DME I got a click under the manifold area. Maybe the crank or camshaft sensors? But still no power to FP

Comment

Ok she is ALIVE. Hasnt been started in over 15 months. So the first 5 minutes she was barely staying alive. I warmed her up but this car still needs fresh fluids and sparks and waterpump.

Solved: So now I know how to read wiring schematics.

What I think happend was the crank sensor was bad and paired with a bad fuse. I barely caught it. #11 fuse was blown along with a bad DME relay. This was after 100 combinations.

Story in short
                            Fast forward to after both cam and crank sensors where in new oem. I got only cranks nothing. Fuses ok. Relays still questionable.I went to the yard looking for a ECU but got nothing. So I grabbed 3 pairs of DME relays and 3 sets of FP relays because why not. Checked all my connections at C101. Come to find my fuse 11 had blown?!?!?!? Bugger! Got everything ready and the battery was weak. Jumped it and as the cranks got stronger my FP kicked on! EUREKA! Started to roar on my second crank AND man did it feel good! Now Im a member with a running E30. Will post intro soon as I get to clean her up.

Comment

Working...
                            X