M50tu sudden Powerloss *SOLVED*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50tu sudden Powerloss *SOLVED*

Hey guys, my M50tu suddenly had a bad power-loss. 2nd Gear pulls like 5th!!!

Problem SOLVED Post #24
    updated 8/13/14

Symtopms:
    Car has NO power, like extremely retarded timing, and/or extreme Rich/Lean conditions. Engine fires smoothly.

New theory: Very Retarded Ignition ...engine/car smells super hot after just a few test runs, the exhaust is mega hot (than normal)

What can cause the stock 413 DME to retard timing so insanely?

What I have currently done: update 8/6/14

-Fuel flow is verified good = FPR was replaced with a known working one, fuel filter replaced, flow checked at rail was normal, return line flow was dynamic with throttle. Injectors are getting 13.5v power supply.

-MAF was replaced with 4 known working ones. Car idles just fine, car runs smooth, no inherent misfires or bad timing, just seriously down on power.

-Double checked all vacuum connections, everything seemed OK. Even if there was a small leak, that unmetered air should be minuscule at 3K RPM plus....

-Pulled the plugs; PICS to follow

-Car failed Emissions with elevated levels of Hydrocarbon, indicating rich conditions (plugs say otherwise!)

-Crank Position Sensor is tightly mounted

-Vanos stuck at retard? IDK, I took the car in 2nd gear through the revs, and at 5-6.5k RPM the power did not get any better, can I conclude Vanos is OK?

-Cam Sync replaced and still Nada

-Unplugged TPS, MAF, Knock Sensors one at a time, same problem persist

Background:
    M50tu stock w/ 413 DME (stock)
    Swap has been running strong and fine for 20K miles.
    This happened after installed a charcoal canister, but I uninstalled the same night, problem did not go away. (Reason for install was emissions test)

Thanks for your time and help!
    -San

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Tchao; 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: Update

Updated
    Last edited by Tchao; 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Confused, is the fuel vent valve hooked up and pulling a vacuum on your gas tank?

Comment

updated

Comment

updated

Comment

Ok, finally posted pics, and updated what Ive done.

Any brain storm ideas welcomed!

Thanks,
            -San

Comment

Originally posted by Tchao View Post
              Car has NO power,
              Car idles just fine, car runs smooth,
              Engine has no power, engine idles just fine, engine runs smooth. I know you are not a noob.

Bosch +4 are not recommended. You should use original two prong spark plug, prongs protrude more into the combustion chamber. With a good quality scanner you can monitor data in real time, there you can check for timing and how much ECU has to trim for fuel.

Comment

What I meant to convey is the engine is not mis-firing, therefore running smooth, just a total lack of power, like one would say put timing to 5 BTDC.
                This hints to me that it maybe a calibration problem, like a bad maf telling the DME 1/2 the amount of air in reality. But Ive replaced the MAF with 4 others! Nada.

I dont think the DME can retard timing that far out of spec, correct me if Im wrong.

Comment

Any codes?

Comment

Yes, just the same code it always has, 1221 EGO sensor. Its been missing the O2 sensor since day 1. SHe runs a tad bit on the richer side, but with 115F heat here in AZ, its a good thing.
                    Ive unplugged the ECU for a few hours to reset it, still the same driving behavior with no codes.

Comment

Try unplugging the following one at a time and driving it to see; I had a bad cam position sensor and it drove like craptastic. Car only needs water temp sensor and crank position sensors to fire up and idle

#1 Knock sensor comes to mind
                      #2 afm or its wiring ( so drive with it unplugged)
                      #3 perhaps tps?
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Unplugged the MAF and TPS already, no real change.

Knock sensors will be unplugged here shortly, just waiting for it to cool down, its like 106F outside right now.

Comment

Nope, not the knock sensors either.
                          Errrrrrr

Comment

Can you change dme or tune. Or even easier just diconnect battery and let any ecu learn go and see how it acts

Comment

Disconnected the DME after every "fix" I did just to make sure it starts from scratch. Nada.

I think I found the problem, my Cam Sync reads 6-million Ohms....Bentley states 540 ohms.
                              I searched the forums to for bad cam sensor and saw other people's problems were similar to mine. Ill pick up another from the yard tomrw and report back. **Fingers crossed**

Comment

Working...
                              X