Another trunk leak item detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another trunk leak item detected

Hey everyone, just wanted to add an item to be checked in the long list of items when finding a trunk leak. This could be a very possible location if you find a pool of standing water in the car jack location or under the battery tray. The rear side marker light has the wiring going through a body grommet. This grommet is the cause of water coming in. They are both very badly cracked and on the driver side it is so wide you can see light through it. Granted that this area is behind the rear bumper but water can find any opening real easy. The bad news, is that even with a proper BMW part number, no one can obtain them, not even the dealer. The only open besides finding a used one, modern 5 and6 series use them, is to buy the e30 m3 rear markers as they come with the grommet. But the lights are over $65 each. When I paint my car, I might go this route and then throw away the actual wiring. The lenses should work or I can resell them to a e30 m3 owner. I will have to cut my wiring and solder it back but a small price to pay to keep a dry trunk. Right now I just fill in the cavity of the grommet with RTV.

Hope this helps others.

Here is a pic of the rear exposing on of these grommet's and you can see how mine is all loose.
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Good catch!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I just spent $75 I didn't have on a new trunk seal only to have it not solve my jack well leak problem (I was sure that was it), and after checking so many other things all ready I am at a loss. Will check this one tomorrow, my car is no show car and I'm broke as a joke so hopefully some gasket sealer or RTV fills it up.
      sigpic
      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Can you use a different grommet? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.. I'll keep my eye open as I need some too ;)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sure you can but, 1, you need to make sure the size works and 2, you will have to cut the wiring to get it through and then splice it back.
          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
          X