New member, new E30, new story: Meet Lily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helloThom View Post
    Yeah, whoever sold you that SI board wasn't truthful. It didn't even have batteries, and those are crucial for the tach and MPG gauges to work. I think the reason they worked after I replaced it is possibly because the batteries had a tiny amount of power left in them. I'm looking forward to the new-ish board returning from Bavarian Restoration and popping it in. :D
    Shows how much I still had to learn lol. No shame in admitting that. Getting the whole cluster sent out to be fully refreshed was on my to-do list, but it wasn't super high priority for me; had other fish to fry at the time. Glad things are going well!

Any luck sorting out the running rich piece? How'd she pass emissions round 2?
    Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
    Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
    1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
    1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
    2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

Originally posted by car_gal_jenni View Post
      Shows how much I still had to learn lol. No shame in admitting that. Getting the whole cluster sent out to be fully refreshed was on my to-do list, but it wasn't super high priority for me; had other fish to fry at the time. Glad things are going well!

Any luck sorting out the running rich piece? How'd she pass emissions round 2?
      Not sure. Some of the fuses that were too high an amp rating were for the "fuel delivery", but I'm not sure specifically which components. After replacing those fuses and changing the oil, it passed DEQ.

I also think the O2 sensor bung may be too far down the pipe for it to get an accurate reading. I was looking at OEM headers for reference and the O2 sensor is pretty much right after the headers. So, I may have an exhaust shop weld in a new bung higher up the pipe and plug the one in front of the cat. We'll see... YAY, project cars!
      Last edited by helloThom; 04-17-2017, 02:22 PM. Reason: Addl. info
      Zinno 1989 327i coupe - SSSquid chip, 19# inj, 4.10 LSD.

Comment

Not sure. Some of the fuses that were too high an amp rating were for the "fuel delivery", but I'm not sure specifically which components. After replacing those fuses and changing the oil, it passed DEQ.

I also think the O2 sensor bung may be too far down the pipe for it to get an accurate reading. I was looking at OEM headers for reference and the O2 sensor is pretty much right after the headers. So, I may have an exhaust shop weld in a new bung higher up the pipe and plug the one in front of the cat. We'll see... YAY, project cars!
        could use the secondary o2 bung for a wideband (which is actually what i was gonna do anyways, but never got around to it). that way you retain the factory reading, but then have a separate reading for the wideband/tuning.

Comment

could use the secondary o2 bung for a wideband (which is actually what i was gonna do anyways, but never got around to it). that way you retain the factory reading, but then have a separate reading for the wideband/tuning.
          Good thought! I haven't inspected the exhaust piping thoroughly enough to see the second bung. I'll try to check it out next weekend. :D

Comment

Good thought! I haven't inspected the exhaust piping thoroughly enough to see the second bung. I'll try to check it out next weekend. :D
            I'm like 99% certain there's already two bungs. The headers didn't come with one when I bought them, so I had the exhaust shop cut them in. The placement may be what needs to be revisited/reconfigured. i'm no pro at exhaust stuff, and the shop i went to were a bunch of.... less than intelligent people.

Comment

I'm like 99% certain there's already two bungs. The headers didn't come with one when I bought them, so I had the exhaust shop cut them in. The placement may be what needs to be revisited/reconfigured. i'm no pro at exhaust stuff, and the shop i went to were a bunch of.... less than intelligent people.
              Okay, cool, that's good to know! Yeah, I guess if the sensor isn't hot enough or something, it can give the ECU incorrect readings. Plans are to move it up closer to the header and go from there.

Comment

Good plan, sir, good plan.

Comment

Small update

Received one of my few packages in the mail today. I'm officially a BMW CCA member! WOO!

Comment

Nice! Get the is spoiler on there!
                    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                      Nice! Get the is spoiler on there!
                      It's on the list! Or a Hartge (sp?) spoiler, I like both.

Comment

It's on the list! Or a Hartge (sp?) spoiler, I like both.
                        ...... I have a Hartge rear wing I need to sell..... >.>

Comment

Nice car.
                          Hank Ahrens
                          1984 Alpine Coupe
                          1978 911sc

Comment

Moar!

Week of 4/24/2017: Snagged some OE ZKW clear turn lenses directly from Germany! WOO!

Clear lens on left, the now replaced smoked on right (for comparison):

My ECS Tuning order has been delayed since placing the order nearly two weeks ago... Not sure why, apparently one of the parts has been consistently delayed. Tried asking for an explanation via their live chat on the website and didn't really get an answer... New ship date is May 1st, so hopefully it'll arrive May 5th, although at this point I'm not holding my breath. Never had an issue with ECS before, so I'll consider this instance to be an anomaly.

More updates to come later!

Comment

Updaaaaate!

4/28/2017: Friday after work I checked my mailbox to see a delivery! YESSSS! It's my front plate filler panel from
                              R3V member Blackcobrajay! Check out his thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380976. It's a well-made product, and really cleans up the black trim in the front. No more ugly plate screws! Speaking of front plates....

5/2/3017: Canceled my ECS order. The revised ship date was supposed to be yesterday, 5/1, and after logging in this morning and seeing no shipping update, I got fed up with waiting.

I had placed an order for a front tow hook plate bracket in mid-April, so not sure why it took over two weeks, and still didn't ship. Ultimately, I went to a local vendor that has a history of top-quality products, specific to BMW and MINI vehicles.

Thanks to the crew at Cravenspeed in Tigard, Oregon for this hookup! Fits perfectly and looks great, too! I haven't seen any E30's that run a tow hook plate mount, so this adds a bit more uniqueness to an already unique car. Pics below!

Last edited by helloThom; 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Looks nice. I'm a sucker for Zinno.
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X