Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Poor Man's M50 3.0l Stroker Dyno Numbers are in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    .... Depending location, they are pricey (check out car-part for your area).
    Originally posted by RobertK View Post
    Issue is the cars that these came in are now worth less than the cost to pay someone to install a new engine.

I've purchased a couple 330i engines from pull a part for
    $200 and whole cars for $400-$600. Just parted a wrecked E60 530i 6spd manual I bought for $600.

M54B30 is a great engine if not overhead considering people still ask $1500-2500 for a S52
    As I said, location. Here in FL the bodies last forever, transmissions and engines are generally higher priced than say, the rust belt, where the drive train out-lasts the car. Car-Part shows I have to travel ~200mi to get a 3.0l below $1k (warranty, pulled, and usually small/free delivery to a shop). It's worth it to a local here to spend the $3k on a minty e46, they are just recently hitting the you-pull type yards. Been a bit since it was worth it for me to go to a yard and pull parts vs staying at the shop :(
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
      You can M54s all day long for $600-800 now.

Issue is the cars that these came in are now worth less than the cost to pay someone to install a new engine.

I've purchased a couple 330i engines from pull a part for
      $200 and whole cars for $400-$600. Just parted a wrecked E60 530i 6spd manual I bought for $600.

M54B30 is a great engine if not overhead considering people still ask $1500-2500 for a S52
      Oh I wish that would be the case here in Finland also. I would have m54b30 swapped every car :D Here everyone wants e46/e39/e60 with the m54b30 engine so if you add one zero to those prices, it will get closer to local price level.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        As I said, location. Here in FL the bodies last forever, transmissions and engines are generally higher priced than say, the rust belt, where the drive train out-lasts the car. Car-Part shows I have to travel ~200mi to get a 3.0l below $1k (warranty, pulled, and usually small/free delivery to a shop). It's worth it to a local here to spend the $3k on a minty e46, they are just recently hitting the you-pull type yards. Been a bit since it was worth it for me to go to a yard and pull parts vs staying at the shop :(
        Depends on where you live in FL. We see lots of FL cars that live close to the coast covered in corrosion / rust and chalky blocks.

Still $1000 is less than half the price of a S52 and its not that much harder to swap than a M52 or S52.

Comment

Working...
        X