Fuel Line From injectors to bottom of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Line From injectors to bottom of engine

I need to replace my rubber fuel line 8mm x 13mm or is it 12mm x 18mm from the injectors to the bottom of the double t-fitting..Is it very hard to replace and will the fuel keep coming out or will it stop eventually....While doing my valves i notice the hose are very crack and since i have access i figure i change it......

is there a lot of pressure and will the fuel stop flowing.....all i want to do is replace those hoses

sigpic

Yes, there will be high pressure fuel in the feed line unless you have an iffy FPR or fuel pump check valve.

Pull the fuel pump relay or fuse (depending on year model) and crank the engine to depressurize the fuel circuit. You can download your ETM from here:

The fuel line is a bit awkward to replace but not difficult. Be careful when snipping those plastic ties to ensure you don't damage the injection harness. Cap both ends of the new fuel hose (ductape will do) to keep crap out of it while your feeding it into place. Be careful you don't knock that C191 round rubber plug under the manifold around too much. That plug feeds the injection harness and it's old, they have a reputation for rotted wiring and wire to pin connections can break if it's abused. Looks like it could do with a clean and connection lube but you'll need to be careful.

If the upper lines are perished then it's likely that the lower hoses to the underbody hard lines are also suspect, you may as well replace them all "while you're in there".

Comment

Sorry for Newbie bmw question.The car is 1988 325iC and the battery is out of the car and disconnected so do i still have to pull the fuse. but whats a iffy and I know Fuel Pressure Regulator the one in the first pic "FPR" right. Fuel Pump check valve not sure were that is.Can i still remove the line without starting the engine and whats a C191 is that the thing in the 3rd pic to the right...yes eventually i will do the lowers ones but for now i do these 2 and then work my way to the bottom...
      thank you for your help..I just hope in the fuel stop once i disconnect the lines
      sigpic

Comment

No problem.

Yes FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Iffy = Not working to spec, e.g. leaky FPR diaphragm or fuel pump check valve.

The fuel pump check valve is inside the fuel pump and isn't serviceable, if the check valve is failing/failed the fuel system won't retain pressure after you switch off the engine resulting in longer cranking time to start the engine.

C191 is that round plug in the 3rd picture. If you aren't going to clean and service it, try not to disturb it and don't put pressure on the wires.

Since you have the battery out just disconnect the fuel feed hose from the FPR, put some rag around the hose when you disconnect to catch any fuel which may still be pressurized at up to 38psi, but there won't be much.

*** DON'T SMOKE WHILE DOING THIS ***

You won't get fuel syphoning from that line since the connections are higher than the gas tank, but there will be fuel in the rubber line - disconnect the other end and drain the fuel into a can. If you are replacing the lower lines I'd recommend putting a hose clamp on the fuel filter output hose to prevent it draining into your ear while you are working under there.

Comment

Just do it. I replaced mine without removing the fuel replay. There will be some pressure and fuel leakage, but not that much. Disconnect the negative battery cable before you do any work. If you crack the fuel hose a bit, you can release all the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
            No problem.

Yes FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Iffy = Not working to spec, e.g. leaky FPR diaphragm or fuel pump check valve.

The fuel pump check valve is inside the fuel pump and isn't serviceable, if the check valve is failing/failed the fuel system won't retain pressure after you switch off the engine resulting in longer cranking time to start the engine.

C191 is that round plug in the 3rd picture. If you aren't going to clean and service it, try not to disturb it and don't put pressure on the wires.

Since you have the battery out just disconnect the fuel feed hose from the FPR, put some rag around the hose when you disconnect to catch any fuel which may still be pressurized at up to 38psi, but there won't be much.

*** DON'T SMOKE WHILE DOING THIS ***

You won't get fuel syphoning from that line since the connections are higher than the gas tank, but there will be fuel in the rubber line - disconnect the other end and drain the fuel into a can. If you are replacing the lower lines I'd recommend putting a hose clamp on the fuel filter output hose to prevent it draining into your ear while you are working under there.
            every thing working fine on the car just doing the valves job and notice the hoses from the fuel injectors are really cracked so why not change them all i want to do is change those 2 hoses that go to that double T fitting for now.
            that C191 it looks like it's missing a zip tie is there suppose to be there.
            Any idea how much fuel will escape from the FPR will it stop..LOL
            Lower will be done another time for i like to concentrate on this job.

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
            Just do it. I replaced mine without removing the fuel replay. There will be some pressure and fuel leakage, but not that much. Disconnect the negative battery cable before you do any work. If you crack the fuel hose a bit, you can release all the pressure.
            ok man I'll just do it and hope fully just a little fuel comes out and not a gallon and no way to stop it.....
            sigpic

Comment

it's 8x13 and you want to pull out your fuel pump relay and run the car until it dies. Get a bunch of paper towels and put them under the fuel line when you take it out. If you want get a water bottle and let excess fuel flow into that as you remove the line

the hardest part is reattaching the new line to the metal line down near the frame rail. Stick with it and you'll get it.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                it's 8x13 and you want to pull out your fuel pump relay and run the car until it dies. Get a bunch of paper towels and put them under the fuel line when you take it out. If you want get a water bottle and let excess fuel flow into that as you remove the line

the hardest part is reattaching the new line to the metal line down near the frame rail. Stick with it and you'll get it.
                Ok but the problem is the valve cover is off and the valves done and i hope i did it right and there no battery so i can't run the car..

Do you think I'll be able to access those hoses while the valve cover is back on and I still have to figure out how to get that god damm valve cover vent hose off been at it for like forever...lol
                I was thinking of taking the 2 hoses at the bottom first and the work my way up to the FPR and the remove the one by the fuel injectors...
                What do you think..
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
                  Ok but the problem is the valve cover is off and the valves done and i hope i did it right and there no battery so i can't run the car..

Do you think I'll be able to access those hoses while the valve cover is back on and I still have to figure out how to get that god damm valve cover vent hose off been at it for like forever...lol
                  I was thinking of taking the 2 hoses at the bottom first and the work my way up to the FPR and the remove the one by the fuel injectors...
                  What do you think..
                  Tie a long string to the valve cover end of the hose and pull it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                    Tie a long string to the valve cover end of the hose and pull it out.
                    Next time I'll use that method i shoe horn it in.It was a lot easer to install it then take it out ....now do i do it or not i hate working with fuel.....
                    in the mean time I'll paint the valve cover....
                    Do you think i'll be able to get the 8 x13mm hose if the valve cover is back on...
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X