No announcement yet.

E46 330 rack into E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So any updates on long term e46 rack installs? Looking to replace my bum e30 rack this winter. Only concern is the power steering hoses. People are saying they bolt up with one hose reversed? I haven't actually seen any pictures of installs either. Any information floating around?

I emailed the rack doctor asking him specifics of this particular swap and he said to give him a call to discuss verbally. Will be getting to that once I am off work.

I'm reading some threads that say you need to modify your firewall in order to pull this off? This is why I usually end up asking questions on these forums. Everyone seems to leave out incredibly important information on the posts that I manage to find.... People will say they "bolt right up" but then also casually mention how they had to drill holes into the steering knuckle and the knuckle ends up not even fully down on the rack? These are things I would like to know up front before I begin the adventure!

Comment

It all depends if your car is an early model or late model.
      First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

I have a 1990 325i Convertible. Production date 07/1989, not sure how it goes with convertibles. Is that considered late model?

Comment

I will be doing this swap soon also. E46 rack into my 91 318 w/ M50.

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
            I have a 1990 325i Convertible. Production date 07/1989, not sure how it goes with convertibles. Is that considered late model?
            If you have an airbag steering wheel (or if the car had one originally), it will need to have the firewall modified. The steering knuckle can be reused.
            - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
            1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

I have installed an E46 rack and it was a direct bolt in affair once you swapped the tie rods.

Comment

I didnt see it mentioned, but on an e46 rack you should use the e46 inner tie rods with the e36 outer tie rods. If you want to use e30 parts, the e30 inner can be modified to work. This is for the internal air passageway in the e46 rack. e30 and e36 are external.

Comment

So this is the first thread I have seen two people say you dont need to modify the firewall for an E46 rack on an airbag car. I am going with the ZHP rack, love to confirm this.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                    I have installed an E46 rack and it was a direct bolt in affair once you swapped the tie rods.
                    This is good news, but I'm curious: you're saying apart from tie rods (which others have said is e36 outer, E46 inner) there is nothing else to be done? No modification to the steering coupler? No modifications to the existing low pressure or high pressure hoses? The E46 rack will use the stock e30 ps pump no problem?

Going to be doing a relatively inclusive overhaul shortly, possibly involving a new pump, rack, reservoir, and all hoses. So want to make sure I do what's best.

Comment

Some good info here http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...ck_Conversions
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
                        This is good news, but I'm curious: you're saying apart from tie rods (which others have said is e36 outer, E46 inner) there is nothing else to be done? No modification to the steering coupler? No modifications to the existing low pressure or high pressure hoses? The E46 rack will use the stock e30 ps pump no problem?

Going to be doing a relatively inclusive overhaul shortly, possibly involving a new pump, rack, reservoir, and all hoses. So want to make sure I do what's best.
                        I used E30 inner and outer tie rods on an E46 ZHP steering rack. I didn't do power steering so I don't know about the lines, hoses or pump. I did not modify the steering coupler or the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                          I used E30 inner and outer tie rods on an E46 ZHP steering rack. I didn't do power steering so I don't know about the lines, hoses or pump. I did not modify the steering coupler or the firewall.
                          Unless you modified the inner e30 tie rods you could trouble down the road and cause your rack to fail prematurely. The E46 inner tie rods are vented and allow air pressure to equalize pressure in the boots when turning via the inner tie rods via the vent slot.

E30/E36 racks do this via a tube from one side of the rack to the other.

This thread has some good information on it.
                          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

When I bought my ZHP rack from the Rack Dr., he sent it with E46 inners and E36 (might have been e46???) outers. Guten, installed it, so not sure about the firewall modification.

Edit: It might have been E46 outers as well, not E36
                          Last edited by Zeemz; 06-13-2017, 09:49 AM.
                          1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                          1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                          September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                          Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                            Unless you modified the inner e30 tie rods you could trouble down the road and cause your rack to fail prematurely. The E46 inner tie rods are vented and allow air pressure to equalize pressure in the boots when turning via the inner tie rods via the vent slot.

E30/E36 racks do this via a tube from one side of the rack to the other.

This thread has some good information on it.
                            Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

When I bought my ZHP rack from the Rack Dr., he sent it with E46 inners and E36 outers. Guten, installed it, so not sure about the firewall modification.
                            I was wondering which outers to use. I was going to go with the E36 but its only a bit more to go E46ZHP from Rack Doctor. Since I had an E46 and loved the steering on it I think I will go that direction.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Hmm. I don't own that car anymore so I can't remember what I did. Oh well lol. I'll make sure on this car that I use E46 inners with E36 outers.

Comment

E46 330 rack into E30

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                So this is the first thread I have seen two people say you dont need to modify the firewall for an E46 rack on an airbag car. I am going with the ZHP rack, love to confirm this.

For ZHP I believe you are right and there is no need for modification. If not mistaken, it's because the pinion is at a different angle. My standard E46 M3 (green tag) rack did require firewall modification, I have a 91' vert. Used E46 inners + E36 Outer rods as well.

I've had mine almost 18 months and love it!
                                Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
                                LED Bulb Thread
                                R6 LED Review

Comment

Working...
                                X