my delphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my delphin

So i bought this car off of a member here on r3v as a project. So far it has been a steady source of weekend work for a few months. It started life as a 1986 325E but the po had already swapped in a b25 and he also installed the bav auto/bilstein spring and strut combo. On the test drive it ran well but the driveline was vibrating horribly, the trunk opening spring was busted loose from the rear deck and making a banging noise. The front strut bearings were making noise and the steering would not return to center. It leaked oil from every possible spot on the engine and trans. The door locks and window motors were not working properly, all the typical e30 stuff that you would expect from an 86 car.
    So far i have fixed:
    the brakes- stock rotors, pagid pads, rear ate guide pin upgrade from bad auto, front calipers are girlings
    Pulled the trans and resealed it, redline mtl, clutch was replaced by po
    Upgraded front sway bar to one from a vert, i have the rear but will i do later
    Replaced wiper motor and transmission from one of our parts cars
    Pulled carpet and tossed it(stinky and wet), fixed a hole in floor
    Installed some really short pile office type carpet(temporary until more $$)
    purchased and installed some nice vinyl sport seats
    replaced one window and window motor
    Replaced fuel lines with proper fuel injection line
    replaced upper strut bearings and installed washers and seals that the po had lost
    welded the trunk opening spring back in place
    Upgraded to the late style shifter carrier, replaced all wear items including selector rod joint. Installed uuc short shifter.
    installed hella ellipsoids
    replaced oil filter mount gasket
    replaced oil filter pressure relief kit
    did a valve adjustment and replaced cover gasket
    Replaced throttle heater hoses and the plate the hoses hook to at the throttle body
    had driveshaft rebuilt and fully balanced
    replaced heater core hoses and one of the upper radiator hoses
    purchased and installed the proper fan shroud and upper radiator bracket/hold down
    properly rerouted the wiring harness and the coolant hoses under the intake manifold and purchased and installed the proper clips/clamps for everything under there
    I'm sure there is more, i'll add to the list as i think if it. There is plenty left to do
    Attached Files
    sigpic

new vibration damper
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

You don't even need a vibration dampener on the e30, did you pay money for that?

Comment

resealing front bearing retainer plate
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

i let some guy give me a massage for it
          sigpic

Comment

who can tell me why i can't post multiple pics in the same post, when i try to add more than one a time they just list as attachments
            sigpic

Comment

Because youre putting them in as attachments. Upload them to a site like photobucket, and insert the image code.

Comment

pic of the plane that landed in the hudson, on its way to some museum. Forgot i had taken these
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
                  You don't even need a vibration dampener on the e30, did you pay money for that?
                  He has under 500 post so it's safe to say he was not aware that it was not needed.

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
                  pic of the plane that landed in the hudson, on its way to some museum. Forgot i had taken these
                  OP It says right on the darn side of the jet, Carolina's Aviation Museum in Charotte NC

4672 First Flight Drive | Charlotte, NC 28208 | 704-997-3770
                  We're building an exciting new future at the Sullenberger Aviation Museum in Charlotte, NC, where history and STEM education soar. Home of Flight 1549, the "Miracle on the Hudson."
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

it wouldn't be the first thing i wasted money on
                    sigpic

Comment

okay so some more progress made. Removed 2.93 open diff, installed a 3.73 led i purchased from a member here on R3v, thank you Turbodiesel. Popped the cover off and resealed it, checked for bearing play, gear play and tooth pattern. Everything looks good.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

also replaced the rear sway bar with one from a vert, filled the diff with redline, and bolted it all back up. WOW that feels nice, the diff really woke up the car. The sway bar definitely helps keep the car straighter through the curves. Next week ill be installing the factory front lower plastic on the valance, the part that covers the oil cooler. I don't know if i should call this a lip or not. I also have another 173 ecu with a turner chip thats going in soon.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

After i got home i decided to clean the car up a bit. My shop is a tractor trailer repair shop and we don't have a paved lot so the place is always dusty. The car has been filthy since i bought it and i wanted to change that so I cleaned up the interior and then gave the outside a wash. The interior cleaned up pretty well. I like the red door cards with the black handles and seats.
                          Last edited by bmwstudent; 04-25-2012, 06:50 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

So i had to get the car towed the other day. I had to drove it to the county building, it ran fine the drive there. Came out fifteen minutes later and it wouldn't start. Had to get it towed. The other day i started checking it out and i found it didn't have ignition. Checked a couple basics and found the rotor had come loose what it bolts to. Not only was the rotor actually broken in half but the piece it bolts to was screwed up too. The bolt holes were stripped. The previous owner must have stripped the threads from the rotor driver(the piece the rotor bolts to) as i have not been inside the distributor cap yet. I checked a spare e head that i had but the piece is a little different. The e head's rotor driver has a dowel hole in it and the cam has a dowel pin. My b25 (supposed to be from a 91 325) has a little key slot cut in the rotor driver and a corresponding piece that mates to it on the cam. In the meantime i've drilled out the holes in my current rotor driver and tapped them out to 6mm x 1.0. Also had to oversize the holes in the rotor i stole off a spare motor. So if anyone has a spare rotor driver let me know. I also have a WTB post in parts wanted. The car has been running with the modified rotor now for a week but i want to get a new one.
                            sigpic

Comment

i installed my front plastic the other day. It really completes the front end, without it the car looked bad. I got it off my brothers bronzit, freebie. The car has developed a cold start issue, once it warms up its fine. I'll be going over it for vacuum leaks and checking the thermal switch, etc. When cold the idle fluctuates up and down quite a bit. Still looking for that rotor drive hub for my distributor if anyone has one.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X