Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iS Front lip brake ducts?

Howdy, R3V

Just got to joining the forums last week, and I've just been checking things out/getting much needed parts so far. Thus said, I recently picked up an early model iS front lip from td325ic (awesome guy) and got to thinking: The lip I purchased didn't come with fog deletes, and I do not want to buy new fogs, so I drew up these.
    They are brake ducts that would slot directly into the fog light housing, and get screwed in.
    I just wanted some feedback from you guys as to whether you think they would look good on the early iS lip, and if you think they would work.

Edit: This is for an early model front lip/valence
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CRH_E30; 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM.

87' is part out

Im not sure what the lip has to do with anything?

Are you proposing this to be sized so its a massive brake duct, taking up the space of the OE duct and the fog lights?
    I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

How would you even make those? Do you have access to injection molding or.vacuum forming?

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
      HSAX Instructor

Comment

I believe he is referring to the IS/ES lower front valance not the late model IS Lip.
        I never did notice if there was a brake duct for that. I always assumed the long rectangular hole underneath the fog lamps provided the ventilation for the brakes on early model IS'.

Interesting to see how this would turn out.

BTW, Welcome!
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
        ---------------------------------
        89 E30 S52
        ---------------------------------
        Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
          I believe he is referring to the IS/ES lower front valance not the late model IS Lip.

BTW, Welcome!
          Exactly. That slot at the bottom on each side is for ventilation. But I figured since I live in an area that doesn't require the use of fog lights, (except for maybe 1 day out of the whole year) why not take them out and replace with a massive duct? I drew up a slightly different model than the one pictured, and it will get air moving 45 mph faster than the air traveling at 60 mph.

These parts will be casted from a very dense urethane plastic with 8100 psi impact capacity.

And thank you :up:

87' is part out

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
            How would you even make those? Do you have access to injection molding or.vacuum forming?
            I plan on making a mold from a 3D printed piece made of ABS plastic. I have all the resources available to me to mass produce these.

87' is part out

Comment

I <3 3d printing. I will own one...
              I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

looks like a brilliant idea to me, especially because those foglights are nigh impossible to located. I have one broken out now, PM me if you have one for sale! even if it has broken glass, I am getting good at crafting plexi lenses...
                most important rule of mechanics learned- if you can't get the job done, make sure your not being a wuss before doing anything else

Comment

Originally posted by pjens View Post
                  looks like a brilliant idea to me, especially because those foglights are nigh impossible to located. I have one broken out now, PM me if you have one for sale! even if it has broken glass, I am getting good at crafting plexi lenses...
                  Or buy a set of brake ducts! $20 for a set :)

87' is part out

Comment

I'd be interested to see the finished product.
                    Originally posted by LJ851
                    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                      I'd be interested to see the finished product.
                      I should have a set made next week sometime, probably around Thursday.
                      Getting a test 3D printed, then I'll be able to pull molds from it

87' is part out

Comment

Oops

Seems I have forgotten about this thread. But not the project.

I have been busy with work and keeping the car running, but I have finally managed to start working on this project.

These are prototypes that I printed out while I was in school.

I changed the size of the output hole, fixed the flange to actually fit in the fog light housing (doh!), and decreased the angle for them to actually work.

The fiberglass shop at my work is going to start making a mold off the prototype I gave them, and I actually have funds to start buying material to make these. You should see a finished product very soon :)

87' is part out

Comment

very nice. I wish I still had access to a rapid prototyper. If you made some ducts that fit in the late model valence and filled the existing brake duct and fog light hole I would buy a set.

HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
                            very nice. I wish I still had access to a rapid prototyper. If you made some ducts that fit in the late model valence and filled the existing brake duct and fog light hole I would buy a set.
                            I would need a late model lip for measurements, and a new version of Solid Works.
                            My "Arrrrgg!" version doesn't let me export to any file types. :(

87' is part out

Comment

The ducts and fogs are part of the front valence, not the lip, part of the actual body. If you created the .SLDPRT and sent it to me I could save it out to .DXF or whatever format your printer uses.

HSAX Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X