Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Poor Man's M50 3.0l Stroker Dyno Numbers are in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still a nice budget idea. You can pick up the head/block for $500 all day long, and the internals are probably not far off of that either. Add in some machine work, preventative maintenance and new bearings, and you're probably around $2500 which isn't bad. I'm not sure what s50/s52s are going for these days though.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      Still a nice budget idea. You can pick up the head/block for $500 all day long, and the internals are probably not far off of that either. Add in some machine work, preventative maintenance and new bearings, and you're probably around $2500 which isn't bad. I'm not sure what s50/s52s are going for these days though.
      Im doing the same thing, just waiting for the g260 swap brace to get here. Everything is new and im def under $2k all together.
      '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
      '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
      '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
      '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

Why did you use a non vanos head with a vanos block and then convert it to run vanos?
        Parts availability?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
          Why did you use a non vanos head with a vanos block and then convert it to run vanos?
          Parts availability?
          Pretty much.. and double valve springs are nice but we built it on his budget and parts he randomly pulled.

Comment

Ok.
            I'm thinking of converting to Vanos as well. Did you notice any differences with toothed crank pulley? Can I use a non vanos pulley on vanos block?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
              Ok.
              I'm thinking of converting to Vanos as well. Did you notice any differences with toothed crank pulley? Can I use a non vanos pulley on vanos block?
              Yes, there is a difference in the crank dampner, the gap in the teeth are about 45 degrees different so you will need a VANOS crank dampner and pulley to complete the conversion. The Vanos plunger and intake cam is the only thing that different.

Comment

The m54 setup is under-square and the s50 is square, maybe that accounts for less power ? I bet the stroker has a flatter torque curve than a USs50 though.

Comment

Its still a pretty good deal if you are looking at refreshing your motor before doing a swap I guess, but only if you get a good deal for it all. But then again in the US s50/s52 still looks to be a better deal.
                  .................................................. ...................sigpic
                  .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

i recently bought a 92 touring with an almost identical build. M50 nv block with m54 pistons, rods and crank aswell as s52 cams. Vanos was added. It sounds great but its a heavy car and feels slow compaired to my vr6. Does anyone know a good place for tuning in south florida?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                      M50 deck height is higher than a M54 so the best route on a 3.0l stroker build would be to have a machine shop deck the block a few mm.
                      Do you have the relative deck height numbers handy?

Comment

OBTW: You need to get together with this guy:

Comment

Which trans and diff combo is in this car?
                          Originally posted by Nicademus
                          My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                            OBTW: You need to get together with this guy:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=305953
                            Already a step ahead of that:

Originally posted by Kingb View Post
                            Which trans and diff combo is in this car?
                            IIRC he has a G260 and 3.73 limited slip.

Comment

^ I like that. Is that an m54 head? Also are you welding that adapter to the ITBs? My old levin had ITBs, miss that noise.
                              .................................................. ...................sigpic
                              .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

Any new developments on this?
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X