Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

budget paint job single stage paint. which clearcoat to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

budget paint job single stage paint. which clearcoat to use?

will be using this paint not sure which one

Super Gloss Jet Black Urethane Acrylic Paint Kit

Need a high quality black car paint to restore your car's original color? Look no further than Paint For Cars' jet black acrylic paints.

or

Super Gloss Jet Black Acrylic Enamel Paint Kit

which would be the best clearcoat to use out of these 3

Item Includes: 1 Gallon Starfire Acrylic Enamel Clear Coat PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Designed to be used as an optional component to the Starfire acrylic enamel auto paints we sell. Starfire Acrylic Enamel Clear Coat will add a very high gloss, greater durability, and resistance to fading to the color coat. Starfire can be used with any […]

When it comes to clearcoat automotive products, Paint for Cars is your go-to resource for acrylic urethane clearcoats.

https://www.paintforcars.com/clearcoat_tci.html[[/QUOTE]

Why are you putting clear on single stage paint?
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Why are you putting clear on single stage paint?
      Exactly this. Single stage doesn't involve clear coat.... 2 stage does. Color and clear. You really don't want to spray clear over an acrylic single.

Can you do clear over single stage? Yes, but only within 18 hours of spraying the color. If you really want to do this, go urethane.
      Last edited by TurboJake; 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

just look at it as using a regular spray can enamel then add spray can clear to it and you will see the difference

clear ads more depth with ss blk paint.. also makes the ss paint last longer

ive read this on many hotrod/muscle car forums.

many of them do

1st few coats with paint
        2nd few coats paint mixed with clear
        then 3rd few coats of full clear

some others just paint then wait a week for paint to to cure
        wet sand then clear.
        Last edited by boogieman; 08-27-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Seems like you know more than us then.

Comment

Originally posted by boogieman View Post
            just look at it as using a regular spray can enamel then add spray can clear to it and you will see the difference

clear ads more depth with ss blk paint.. also makes the ss paint last longer

ive read this on many hotrod/muscle car forums.

many of them do

1st few coats with paint
            2nd few coats paint mixed with clear
            then 3rd few coats of full clear

some others just paint then wait a week for paint to to cure
            wet sand then clear.
            I thought this was supposed to be a budget job? Nine coats of paint is definitely not saving you money. :p

Edit: The reality is that spending more money on better paint will generally give you better results than a thousand layers of shitty paint. Yes, you can spray clear on single stage paint, but the question then becomes why? It's generally cheaper to do base/clear than singe stage/clear.
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

The big advantage to single/clear is if you're doing a resto, and don't want to clear
              the jambs, etc and have sand lines at the blend points when you color sand the body.

I've done it with PPG Concept (since the 'single' is so prone to chalking)
              just because I had the single stage color already, and wanted to try it. It DID look good.

But yeah, base goes down nice and opaque and flat, then the clear does its flow thing,
              and life is good. Even with pretty darned cheap paint.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                I thought this was supposed to be a budget job? Nine coats of paint is definitely not saving you money. :p

Edit: The reality is that spending more money on better paint will generally give you better results than a thousand layers of shitty paint. Yes, you can spray clear on single stage paint, but the question then becomes why? It's generally cheaper to do base/clear than singe stage/clear.

ss paint is better to use when dealing with black. ss black is more true then 2 stage black.
                this is mentioned on many hotrod/ muscle car forums.

refence pics with cheap summit enamel done in his garage

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

im just asking is which clear to use out of the 3.
                Last edited by boogieman; 08-27-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Given the choice of three shitty, cheap clear coats, go with the one that the vendor says is best.
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by boogieman View Post
                    ss paint is better to use when dealing with black. ss black is more true then 2 stage black.
                    this is mentioned on many hotrod/ muscle car forums.

refence pics with cheap summit enamel done in his garage

im just asking is which clear to use out of the 3.
                    please just get everything from www.thecoatingstore.com are you painting yourself?
                    Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

not painting it myself. this is the paint im using since its a budget paintjob

Comment

thecaotingstore.com is budget minded. They produce the paint themselves. This is the only reason it is so cheap. It is top quality paint and coverage and durability are excellent.

If you are not painting it yourself, why are you even asking us. Ask what your painter prefers to use. If someone brought me paint that I never used, I would not put it through my gun and on your car...

Comment

im buying my own paint. this is the paint im using. i do not have the space to paint the car myself.

all im asking is whats stated.

Comment

Ok. Good luck with your venture.

Comment

You get what you pay for. I paid 4k for my paint job and it's incredible. I got heckar spies paint.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                              X