Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single stage or basecoat/clear coat for an e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single stage or basecoat/clear coat for an e30?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I just acquired a 1988 325e restoration project. My goal for the project is to do as much as possible myself. While I have some experience with automotive painting, ive never painted a whole car before. I do have access to a nice paint gun with a regulator and have a 60 gallon air compressor. The car is completely stripped right now and just needs some filler and sanding.

My question is, if you were to paint your e30, would you use a single stage or bc/cc paint and why?

I've been reading that single stage is easier and you can get deep colors and nice shine if done properly, but the two stage will last longer.

Anyone have experience on which is easier to maintain? I'm very meticulous when it comes to detailing and keep my paint on my cars in very good shape.
    Last edited by CJ_; 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM.

I would go 2 stage. It looks and protects the color better. Makes the color look deeper as well. Single stage reds would fade pink over time on these cars.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I'd suggest base clear its better quality, looks better, lasts longer it's simply a better paint. Obviously the most expensive single stage can be better then the cheapest base clear but I'd suggest talking to a local paint shop or restoration shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Cool, thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess it would be worth mentioning that I'm going for a sterling silver or maybe a little darker in color, so fade probably wouldn't be a huge factor.

Im more concerned with chips and being able to repair the paint easily. But I've also done some paint correction on two stage cars and know it can be done.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I think any color with flake in at has to be clear coated to prevent the paint from oxidizing badly. The flake is actually metal and has to be covered or else it will corrode.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            I'm no expert, but I think any color with flake in at has to be clear coated to prevent the paint from oxidizing badly. The flake is actually metal and has to be covered or else it will corrode.
            Yes, all the Metallics including Sterling Silver were 2 stage from the factory.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Yes, all the Metallics including Sterling Silver were 2 stage from the factory.
              Correct. I had my single stage Zinnoberrot resprayed with PPG base/clear over six years ago and it still looks great.

Of course it's always garaged, stored winters, and hasn't been driven in the rain even once. I haven't even washed it with water in all that time.
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks great. Red looks much deeper with 2 stage.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                  Correct. I had my single stage Zinnoberrot resprayed with PPG base/clear over six years ago and it still looks great.

Of course it's always garaged, stored winters, and hasn't been driven in the rain even once. I haven't even washed it with water in all that time.
                  Wow. That's gorgeous. Looks so very fresh. The original zinno is single stage though right?

Also, if not water, how do you wash it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
                    Wow. That's gorgeous. Looks so very fresh. The original zinno is single stage though right?

Yes zinno is single stage...and he pees on it to wash it :)
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

If it was an e30 M I'd recommend oem style only for resale purposes but for non M, base coat clear is the way to go. BMW's clear in the early days sucked and tended to lift but it comes down to prep work.

Hot AZ sun will kill any single stage paint job and even two stage. Painters in your region should be able to help steer you in the right direction.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post

Yes, all non-metallic colors were originally single stage enamel.

I use a spray wash:

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate - Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate is a hyper-concentrate that can be used to make the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ spray wash formula or as a no rinse car wash solution in bucket. Either way, Ultima Water...

Or pee. Whichever.

Comment

What rims are you running their?

Comment

Ronal LS

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                              Ronal LS
                              Very nice

Comment

Working...
                              X