Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Toy- 92 M20 Vert

Hi all!

I'm somewhat new to this forum although I came by a few times with my old E30, which was an 87 325IS coupe in back with Cardinal interior. I loved that car, and ended up rebuilding the engine after it had a BHG. Unfortunately I always lusted after the late model E30's and since it had some rust, I ended up selling it a few years back.

SO I always have kept an eye on the E30 market since I had one a few years back and always loved them. I came across a few recently and even went to look at them but had to pass until I saw this one. Originally i was looking for a coupe like most E30 enthusiasts, but this was very well maintained, and since i have a new Accord as my DD, i figured my toy could be that much less practical.

It was listed for sale locally, and when I went to see it I knew i had to have it. Its a 2 owner car, and the guy I bought it from was a wealthy chiropractor (he had some Baltimore Ravens player with a lifted Silverado at his office when I went to see it) and barely drove it 40k miles in the 20 years he owned it. It even came with the battery tender that it probably stayed hooked up to most of the time.

It was garage kept, with a new top and a bunch of other maintenance paperwork. He even kept a notebook of every gas fill up which I've since added to. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Automatic top works, AC works, upgraded MB Quartz speakers with a JL sub & xtant amp in the trunk. Those are the only mods except the wheels which will have to go asap in favor of some more period correct basket weaves or Kopi Alpina reps.

No rust, great paint, decent leather, AND its a late model 92 with plastic bumpers. As we all know, the E30 body style ended in 1991, but the convertible held over the til 1992,and this car has an 09/92 production date, so its about as late model as it gets.

My ONLY issue with it is that its missing one pedal. More to come on the MT swap. For now, its going to sit for a week or two until we hit 2017, and I can get antique plates for it.

So here's my old car:

And here is the new beauty:

Looks like it's been well taken care of! Congrats on the new car.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Nice looking vert!

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm already looking around and trying to pick up some parts for the car, but my main focus right now is the manual swap. I'm hoping to find a parts car or the parts needed at a reasonable price so we can add that all important 3rd pedal.

Any tips or suggestions with regard to the swap would be great!

I know some of the parts I need of course, and will likely get a parts car to pull it all out of. If there are any other parts that should be replaced as part of the process I'd love to hear suggestions!

Comment

Picked up a parts car, hoping to do a manual swap!

What parts do you guys think are worth anything?

What even are these? LOL

Comment

Nice

The dash looks nice. No cracks?

I would keep the motor, diff, dash, buttons as future replacements.

Perhaps some of other stuff like sensors and relays. Then sell the thing to a salvage yard. I dont think the body is worth much.

Comment

The whole interior looks really nice, if you were closer I'd take everything to swap into my sedan.
              My Feedback

Comment

Yup, so far I've come across some goodies that came with the car that I'm really happy about.

-Enkei wheels w/ good hankook tires
                -Black Comfort interior with no tears or bad wear
                -Dash with 2 tiny imperfections, less than 1/2 inch
                -Good HVAC check panel
                -Good engine w/ tb/wp replaced recently (runs, but no coolant, radiator busted)
                -Found a Euro plate filler in the trunk (Bonus!!)
                -Good custom cup holders with charging port
                -Decent stereo
                -Tail lights in great shape (might keep them and paint them all red)
                -Good trunk lid and rear bumper

I will be creating a part out thread soon, so I can try to recoup some of the money spent on the car and the cost of paying a shop for a manual swap!

Comment

Parts car looks nice! I'll buy the cluster/SI board (if working), possibly the steering wheel and airbag depending on condition, the cup holder, and shift knob/boot if you don't want them.

Comment

I believe the cluster is working, since its been replaced (it shows 75k miles)

The wheels and tails have already been sold (that was fast!!)

I am planning on keeping all manual swap related parts for now though. Steering wheel is kinda of worn, but I will be removing mine from my vert as soon as I get my hands on a decent wheel and will let you know!

Cup holders are "pending" but still available.

Comment

The part out has begun in the classifieds section, most big ticket and popular items have been sold.

I dropped the car off to have the swap done with all related parts from the parts car. I also ordered a new clutch kit, new fluids, new slave and master cylinders, and a whole bunch of other misc parts from Pelican and Turner Motorsport.

Hoping to have the vert back with that all important 3rd pedal soon!!

Comment

Awesome find. Because two owner cars are not easy to find. Ask me how I know?

I have been looking for awhile and I know they exist but it is what it is.
                        Preamble:
                        "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Comment

Thanks!!

I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Got the 5spd swap done so she now has 3 pedas which I'm really excited about.

Also installed Smileys, euro grills, and have a few other little things going on soon.

Ill post up some pics later!

Comment

Originally posted by quanaman View Post

Got the 5spd swap done so she now has 3 pedas which I'm really excited about.

Also installed Smileys, euro grills, and have a few other little things going on soon.

Ill post up some pics later!
                            Nice, that was quick! How's the 5 speed feel? Were you happy with the installation?

Comment

Having the 5spd is awesome, pretty happy with the swap and the work. The only problem I had was the Center support bearing I bought from Pelican showed up damaged, so they had to use one the shop had on hand. Other than that, pretty satisfied! Zimmerman Auto did a good job overall. I have a 3.73 LSD in there, but 1st gear still doesn't really do much, or maybe its just me?

Rowing through the gears is awesome though, got a Z3 shifter in there and rebuilt the shifter with new bushings and whatnot, so that is awesome. My last E30 was sloppy as hell and I hated it.

I need to drive the car a bit more and get some miles on it. I have a little vibration on the steering wheel, which I need to pinpoint but so far thats the only problem Im having. I installed my BBS wheels and new tires as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X