OT - Volvo - black paint oxidation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - Volvo - black paint oxidation question

I bought a Volvo XC wagon in black from a friend. They obviously left it out in the sun for long periods. The upper surfaces are pretty faded - hood especially, roof in front of sunroof, top of rear hatch.

I tried some Meguiar's #4 cleaner / polish on it just to see. Milder than a rubbing compound, but still petroleum distillates and abrasive. Well, it looked good right away and I thought, that's too easy. Very black, water is beading up. Still needs some work obviously, fine polish, then wax.

So my concern and question is whether the clear coat is gone or I have cut through what was left and I'm just polishing black paint, which will fade again.

This doesn't like like typical peeling clear coat, it's just faded badly with some very big swirl marks, all the same direction. But I'm no paint or detailing expert! Also, the stuff in the bottle is very old and I don't know if they break down or if cold affects them, stored in the garage.

Another clue is there was no black on either cloth, just that dull orange Meguiar's.

Ideas?
    Thanks -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	7250046

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	7250047

Looks like single stage paint to me, could be a repaint but I know some Volvos in that age range used it. Look for the paint code on the data plate mounted in the engine bay somewhere, and this can tell you if it's single stage https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

I'll check for a paint code sticker. I thought my '94 850 was the last single-stage Volvo. This is a 2004.

Comment

Code 019-26

According to that link, that's Black (duh)
        2 = Herberts (STANDOX)
        6 = Water-based solid / metallic / pearl + 2-component varnish.

I assume 2-component varnish means clearcoat.

Comment

Yeah that's definitely clear coated. Either it's a repaint or the clearcoat has failed in a way that I'm not used to. I'm used to seeing it get milky and flake off, not simply fade.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
          X