84 m10 wiring dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 m10 wiring dilemma

Seems like my search skills have died as I cant really find anything with similar symptoms. I bought this 84 318i and the wiring harness was all chopped up. While removing old harness remains, I noticed that parts of the harness had melted together so causes me to believe that there was an electrical problem (This car has aftermarket headunit and cd changer installed, along with extra cigarette lighter). After lots of work, new 310 dme, new harness, new plugs, pumps, filters, I was able to get it to crank. It starts now but misfires a bit and sounds like a diesel, a little. I will list some symptoms I have observed, and I hope you guys can help me in my further diagnostics:

When I get in the car and insert the key, it chimes twice and then gets cut off in the middle of third beep/ring. When thats the case, I have to crank it for a while, and it pops (think backfires from exhaust) but eventually starts. After it starts and I shut it off without removing the key, it will chime (with door being open) but will not get cut off as it does initially. When this happens, it cranks much better but still takes a few moments to fire up.

Headunit isnt getting power even when the car is running. When I use the blinker, it just lights up and stays lit. Now I imagine things could have been damaged when the "fire/meltdown/short" happened (which my guess is melted the wires) but im not sure where to look next.

I've swapped some relays from my 85 318 but not sure what to do next. Do any of these symptoms sound familiar? Thank you for your time

Another thing I forgot to add is that my tach is now acting weird, bouncing around all the way up to 5k rpms. When I fired up the car last night, it jumped to max, passed 7k rpms and stayed there while the car was idling...

Mean while Im going to throw in a new coolant temp sensor and see if that helps smooth out the cold idle

Comment

There is some good information over on E30tech - here is an example:

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
        There is some good information over on E30tech - here is an example:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...566#post785566
        yea, Im not getting much results here. I was thinking about posting on a 2002 forum today. Thanks for the link! Its already pointing me in the right direction, or so I hope. Thanks again

Comment

2002 faq might be a great source as well

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
            2002 faq might be a great source as well
            I'm an idiot... after literally digging though the entire L-jetronic setup...it was misfiring....because......my plug wires were in the wrong order!

I installed the new set of wires in a hurry and plugged them into the cap in 1,2,3,4, order instead of 1, 3, 4, 2. Anyways the car revs much better now, while still not perfect. Granted it sat for 5 years so once I begin to drive it, it should recover some more.

For anyone searching in the future and needs some THOROUGH diagnostic help with L-Jetronic system, this link is pure gold:

HPSI Motorsports is an industry leading manufacturer specializing high quality silicone hose kits for engine performance and longevity.

Hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
            X