E34 525i LSD questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 525i LSD questions

Hee in a bit im picking up a e34 525i manual from my cousin. From what ive read the 525i cars never got a LSD from the factory. I would like to install one. Ive been trying to gather information on this but not having much luck. I would prefer to not have to change the entire rear end just to have a LSD.

Is there a direct swap I can do?

Still learning about the e34 sorry if its a noob question.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

The LSD was optional in Europe, was it not in the US?

1.You can swap the open type unit inside for a LSD unit.
    2.Change the differential to a E34 188mm LSD differential(1:1 swap, no other changes)
    3.Not sure, but the E30 or E36 LSD differential could be fitted if to change the cover and side flanges to E34 ones.
    4.E32 188mm diffs are very similar, they could be easy to fit, but also not sure.
    85 coupe 318i(M30 swapped) winter fun machine
    88 sedan 318i Sold :(
    88 touring 324td M62B46 swap in progress
    89 touring 325ix Parted :(
    91 cabrio 320i Sold :(
    92 touring 525tds Parted :(

Comment

Check the e34 5 series section on bimmernut.com There is a thread about the interchanges that is very helpful.
      The mid sized differentials are interchangeable on quite a few e36 to e34 models.
      You can get a 3.91 LSD from a 535 automatic.
      If you rotate the rear wheel forward and the other side also rolls forward, I believe you have an LSD.
      There is a LSD designation stamped on the tag on the diff along with the gear ratio.

Comment

I looked up the build sheet for the car and it didnt get a LSD sadly but ill look into the 535 auto
        Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

the 3.46 is the ratio to have for an m50. they came in e34 535 MANUALS

Comment

Are 3.46 cheaper in E34 land? They carry a significant premium in the E30/E28/Z3 world
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

well more 535i e34 have them because the 535 is more common than late model e23 735. if the e34 has the winter package it probably has LSD rear end

used market Id say they are both worth about the same.

Comment

The center diff section at the local PNP yards are under $150 in these parts. I have a 3.91 in the car (1990 535i manual) now and will swap the 3.46 back in while I replace the input shaft bearing. Both are LSD. I get about 21.5 mpg with the 3.91.

Comment

everything you need to know here.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                  Ig:ryno_pzk
                  I like the tuna here.
                  Originally posted by lambo
                  Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I have a S3.73 or my 1992 M50 Vanos touring with ZF gearbox..

My LSD came out of a m20 525..

About 500rpm higher on the highway and tops out at around 210km/h...

Really fun car.. On mine 3.23 was stock gearing..

Comment

Working...
                    X