Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 Timing case rebuild - torque specs and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Timing case rebuild - torque specs and tips?

Im putting back together the torque case for my timing case. it looks like it was formerly an RTV gasket (except very shiny almost like graphite). I got paper gaskets from pelican and plan to use a razor blade and thinly spread RTV silicone gasket over the metal surface along with the paper gasket.

What are the torque specs for these bolts? Any other tips? I know ive seen a guide here but my search is failing me.

Careful using a razor blade, if you scratch the covers or the head/block you'll create leak paths. They sell this paper gasket remover shit that works pretty well at autozone.

What I usually do is get a good plastic scrapper and get at it after the paper gasket remover does some work. Also, really helps to have a gasket spray glue to hold those tiny gaskets in places while you get them on.

About the RVT, I only used some on the bottom surface of the top cover where it meets the head gasket.
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

It wasn't paper gaskets. I don't know what it was. The bottom of the oil pan had paper gaskets and that was nothing. Getting these gaskets off was something else. Plastic scrapper just ran over it. My best degreaser did nothing.i even tried razor blades but couldn't get under it.

I ended up having to blast it with a roloc bristle disc pad and an air drill. Subaru used them on their head gasket surfaces to cut down time but I know it's not ideal.. I just don't know how to get it off.

It doesn't have any cuts or anything but I don't want a wicker basket of a timing case...

Comment

for the front timing case

m6 bolts: 6-7 ft-lbs
        m8 bolts: 15-17 ft-lbs

Comment

Working...
        X