No announcement yet.

Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as the magnets go, clean the driveshaft good where you want them, get a couple of those small rare earth magnets from radio shack in the 2 pack. Head down to the hobby shop and pick up some medium thickness instants glue ( CA ). glue them in place. Make sure you have the pole facing the right way for the hall sensor to read it, place it on a small screw driver, put a SMALL drop on the magnet and stick it to the spot you want. Don't move for about ten seconds, slide the screw driver off. Instant glue is stupid strong in tension, not so good in shear and tension is what you just set it up for.

The magnets for my crank trigger are glued to my crank pulley, they've been there for what, 5 years now. Eventually I'll throw one but meh, I have spares in the glove box with a tube of cheap crazy glue and the pulley is marked.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinepig View Post
      As far as the magnets go, clean the driveshaft good where you want them, get a couple of those small rare earth magnets from radio shack in the 2 pack. Head down to the hobby shop and pick up some medium thickness instants glue ( CA ). glue them in place. Make sure you have the pole facing the right way for the hall sensor to read it, place it on a small screw driver, put a SMALL drop on the magnet and stick it to the spot you want. Don't move for about ten seconds, slide the screw driver off. Instant glue is stupid strong in tension, not so good in shear and tension is what you just set it up for.

The magnets for my crank trigger are glued to my crank pulley, they've been there for what, 5 years now. Eventually I'll throw one but meh, I have spares in the glove box with a tube of cheap crazy glue and the pulley is marked.:)
      good stuff. what kind of hall sensor should i get?
      Last edited by deutschman; 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

They are zip tied like that....that is what the sensor kit calls for. The zip tie and the magnets have little ribbs/teeth on them to hold it. I have used this same kit on 3 cars with no issues.

It is a Rostra universal speed sensor. $26 @ summit racing

Free Shipping - Rostra Vehicle Speed Sensors with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Vehicle Speed Sensors at Summit Racing.
        www.classicdaily.net
        1970 m42 swapped 2002
        1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
        https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
          They are zip tied like that....that is what the sensor kit calls for. The zip tie and the magnets have little ribbs/teeth on them to hold it. I have used this same kit on 3 cars with no issues.

It is a Rostra universal speed sensor. $26 @ summit racing

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPC-250-4165/
          Thanks a lot man!
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Messed with my 3rd brake light set up some more to get it right up to the window. Fabed up some L brackets out of aluminum that I had laying in my shed. Not super clean, but for a job done in a parking lot, while constantly having to be paranoid about being turned in by my neighbors, it is not to bad. I am happy with it for now.
            Put it up high so that drivers in larger cars can hopefully see it better.

sigpic

Comment

Locked down a g240 trany today that I will pick up at this years Bay Area Swap and Show. This swap is coming together.
              sigpic

Comment

I would've given you one for the cost of shipping had I known you had needed one....had an extra I let go with the sale of my 318iS two weeks ago.

Comment

Bummer!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                    Parts I have:
                    Fuel pump (what pump can I use with my stock fuel tank?)
                    I used an intank pump from a '91 318is. Plenty of pressure, but if you hit the pick n pull you can also use the older style with two fuel pumps and they are much easier to come by.

Maybe check out that pick n pull at the endof Ceasar Chavez? If it's still there. I haven't live in the Bay Area for a few years now.

I saw that you had the MSDS shorty headers on your list. It's a good way to go, but if you can find a 323 SuperSprint header it fits perfect. I don't have that set up, but saw a guy's car from Idaho I think that was at the Swap and Show a few years ago that had it. Clean.

I've only seen one on the German eBay since I moved to Europe, but I'm determined to find one!

Good luck.
                    1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
                    1990 BMW 327 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by evanc View Post
                      I used an intank pump from a '91 318is. Plenty of pressure, but if you hit the pick n pull you can also use the older style with two fuel pumps and they are much easier to come by.

Maybe check out that pick n pull at the endof Ceasar Chavez? If it's still there. I haven't live in the Bay Area for a few years now.
                      I saw that you had the MSDS shorty headers on your list. It's a good way to go, but if you can find a 323 SuperSprint header it fits perfect. I don't have that set up, but saw a guy's car from Idaho I think that was at the Swap and Show a few years ago that had it. Clean.
                      I've only seen one on the German eBay since I moved to Europe, but I'm determined to find
                      Good luck.
                      Thanks for all the tips!
                      I think I am ether going to go with an external after market pump (if I have the $) or the 318is pump.
                      Sadly that Pick "n" Pull is not there anymore. I have to drive All the way over to Alimeda to get to a Pick "n" Pull. I almost never find anything worth while.
                      The super sprint headers are very hard to find... I think.
                      MSDS sounds good to me. I think I am going to try and fab my own exhaust system that fits together with clamps. Got to get one of those pipe expanders and a bender.
                      I want to run a Cherry Bomb.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have 2 sets of e21 M20 headers for sale if there is any interest. Any ideas on how to ID supersprint headers? One set im not sure what they are and the other set is HARTGE and are in good shape. I can email you pics if you want.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Supersprints should have a small metal(stainless-steel?) rectangle tacked onto the headers. The rectangle has a stamp on it saying "Supersprint," among some other shit.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            I have 2 sets of e21 M20 headers for sale if there is any interest. Any ideas on how to ID supersprint headers? One set im not sure what they are and the other set is HARTGE and are in good shape. I can email you pics if you want.
                            Sure. Do the e21 headers fit in a '02 m20 swapped car?
                            Email to Jeremy x man @ comcast . Net (<-- no spaces or capitals)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                              Sure. Do the e21 headers fit in a '02 m20 swapped car?
                              Email to Jeremy x man @ comcast . Net (<-- no spaces or capitals)
                              I am not sure if they fit , i was assuming when evanc said supersprint 323 headers fit that he was referring to the E21 chassis not E30. I'm ptretty sure the the unknown set of headers is not supersprint, prob pacesetter or something similar. Hartge's are worth real money, no names not much money. If you are serious about the hartges i would let you return them if they didnt fit, you seem trustworthy. I 'll send you some pics.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                I am not sure if they fit , i was assuming when evanc said supersprint 323 headers fit that he was referring to the E21 chassis not E30. I'm ptretty sure the the unknown set of headers is not supersprint, prob pacesetter or something similar. Hartge's are worth real money, no names not much money. If you are serious about the hartges i would let you return them if they didnt fit, you seem trustworthy. I 'll send you some pics.
                                I really apreciate the offer a lot, but the headers are worth more money then I have spent on the motor, trans combined. I do not think I could justfy spending more on my headers then I did on my motor.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X