No announcement yet.

Cant Find 1st or 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey it's all good everyone has been helpful, I am in it now pics here shortly.
    sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
      Why would the shift forks be weaker on the e? The e makes more torque than the i so if anything, the transmission would be stronger, not weaker.
      It doesn't matter if engine has more or less torque because it does not affect the shift forks at all.
      sigpic
      Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Ok time for the update, I got some pics and the bushings do look bad but once the boot was off and I could see the action I am going to say it's prob the forks. I would much rather it be the shifter but oh well. Is there a thread on the best way to R&R the tranny? And do I need that gigantic shield that goes from my transmission to the rear diff? It seems I will have to cut my exhaust out to remove it?
        Attached Files

Comment

What tranny's can I use? There is an 86, 90, and 93 at the yard I am going to Saturday, and does anyone want to help? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
            It doesn't matter if engine has more or less torque because it does not affect the shift forks at all.
            What's that gotta do with the price of tea in China? Beefier transmissions go behind motors with more torque. Everything is beefed up in a stronger transmission not just the gears.

Comment

What's that gotta do with the price of tea in China? Beefier transmissions go behind motors with more torque. Everything is beefed up in a stronger transmission not just the gears.
              The torque difference between an "i" and "e" is insignificant. How many G260s have you worked on? You're either talking out your ass on most of your posts or saying something negative/sarcastic...you can drink a big glass of the Chinese tea and F*** yourself.

I'm giving the guy helpful information and you're cluttering up the thread as well as many others, you're an idiot.
              sigpic

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhead View Post
                Ok time for the update, I got some pics and the bushings do look bad but once the boot was off and I could see the action I am going to say it's prob the forks. I would much rather it be the shifter but oh well. Is there a thread on the best way to R&R the tranny? And do I need that gigantic shield that goes from my transmission to the rear diff? It seems I will have to cut my exhaust out to remove it?
                OP, I don't see anything out of the ordinary on your pictures. Like you stated, there is suppose to be an shield between driveshaft and exhaust. You also don't need to cut exhaust to remove anything. You could loosen the exhaust to help remove the trans but I've done it without removing exhaust.

Sorry I can't be of any more help with your situation.
                sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

OP, I don't see anything out of the ordinary on your pictures. Like you stated, there is suppose to be an shield between driveshaft and exhaust. You also don't need to cut exhaust to remove anything. You could loosen the exhaust to help remove the trans but I've done it without removing exhaust.

Sorry I can't be of any more help with your situation.
                  Right on, I appreciate all the help you and others have offered. I'm just going to do the swap I guess my gut and eyes tell me its the forks. Anyone know if I can use the tranny's from all 3 of those cars? I will pic the one that feels the firmest and crispest.

Comment

Cant Find 1st or 2nd

Originally posted by Bullhead View Post
                    Right on, I appreciate all the help you and others have offered. I'm just going to do the swap I guess my gut and eyes tell me its the forks. Anyone know if I can use the tranny's from all 3 of those cars? I will pic the one that feels the firmest and crispest.

You can use the 86, and the 90 for sure. But the 93 is an E36 correct? They use ZF trans, which you can use but you'll want longer gears and you'll need a special cross member iirc. Personally I'd take the crisper of the 86/90 pair. Least amount of hassle.

And like Poorboyz said, nothin looks out of the ordinary with your shifter, just a dirty selector rod :) I would jiggle the selector rod and stuff to see if there's any slop in the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by flyboyx
                    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                    Originally posted by Northern
                    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

I'm giving the guy helpful information and you're cluttering up the thread as well as many others, you're an idiot.
                      No one asked you to reply to my post when I was talking to someone else and in case you hadn't noticed, I was helping a lot more than you were right here in this thread. Might want to look in the mirror. But you only see what you want to see anyways - like most everyone else in this forum.

Comment

Agreed.

No one asked you to reply to my post when I was talking to someone else and in case you hadn't noticed, I was helping a lot more than you were right here in this thread.
                        Wrong. In fact, most of what you post on this form is incorrect. I appreciate your enthusiasm to be involved in the community, but when you pipe up, it's the blind leading the blind. Your posts are rarely on topic, even more rarely helpful, and even more rarely factual.

Do you never re visit threads you post in and see what people say in response to you/about you after you post?

A lot of us are amazed you haven't been banned yet. It's been discussed openly.

Are e transmission shift forks stronger than I transmission shift forks? No. Stop perpetuating that myth. It's Jenny McCarthy logic. The shift fork strength has NOTHING to do with the power handling capabilities of a transmission.

But you only see what you want to see anyways - like most everyone else in this forum.
                        There is a saying, that if you come across one asshole a day, they were probably an asshole. But if it seems like everyone you meet is an asshole, it's probably just YOU that's the asshole.

Seriously. Everyone here only sees what they want to see? EVERYONE?
                        Last edited by Andy.B; 09-19-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Back on topic:

It looks like the selector rod is slightly bent in your pictures.

I would have someone operate the shifter while you watch from underneath to see if it's moving excessively or getting caught on something. As other have said, you might have worn out bushings. There are quite a few, and some of them will allow more slop in the shifter than others.

Regarding the transmission compatibility, I missed what year car you have, but IF it's an eta with a dual mass flywheel, you will need an transmission from a car with a dual mass flywheel. The bellhousing on those cars are deeper to accommodate the extra stack height.

If you have a car with a large flange output shaft (likely to be a dual mass flywheel) you will either need to grab another large flange transmission, or will need to swap the output flange (which is trivial).

If you have any 6 cyl car, I or e, with a single mass flywheel, you can use any transmission, including a deep bellhousing transmission. Just make sure to measure the depth of the bellhousing, because if you use a deep bellhousing eta transmission with a single mass flywheel you will need to get a euro 323i throw out bearing to make up the difference in stack height.

TLDR: if you have a single mass flywheel, get whatever transmission you want and make it fit. If you have a dual mass flywheel, get a transmission from a car with a dual mass flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                            Back on topic:

It looks like the selector rod is slightly bent in your pictures.

I would have someone operate the shifter while you watch from underneath to see if it's moving excessively or getting caught on something. As other have said, you might have worn out bushings. There are quite a few, and some of them will allow more slop in the shifter than others.

Regarding the transmission compatibility, I missed what year car you have, but IF it's an eta with a dual mass flywheel, you will need an transmission from a car with a dual mass flywheel. The bellhousing on those cars are deeper to accommodate the extra stack height.

If you have a car with a large flange output shaft (likely to be a dual mass flywheel) you will either need to grab another large flange transmission, or will need to swap the output flange (which is trivial).

If you have any 6 cyl car, I or e, with a single mass flywheel, you can use any transmission, including a deep bellhousing transmission. Just make sure to measure the depth of the bellhousing, because if you use a deep bellhousing eta transmission with a single mass flywheel you will need to get a euro 323i throw out bearing to make up the difference in stack height.

TLDR: if you have a single mass flywheel, get whatever transmission you want and make it fit. If you have a dual mass flywheel, get a transmission from a car with a dual mass flywheel.

I am going out now to remove the tranny, I just got off work and got the kids and wife sedated with pizza lol. It may be a little bit because I have never R&R'd a bmw tranny so it will have some new things for me and I will also want to take time to inspect the parts I remove, but I will post pics of the tranny so you guys will know what I have. I have an 87 325E.

Comment

Let us know how it goes. An 87 325e has a dual mass flywheel and a large flange output shaft, so you will need to make sure your replacement transmission has the deep bellhousing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                                Let us know how it goes. An 87 325e has a dual mass flywheel and a large flange output shaft, so you will need to make sure your replacement transmission has the deep bellhousing.
                                Just caught your post was omw out, so I can only get the tranny from the 90 model then correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X