More Intake Progress

Comment

dayum...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You should make some oval trumpets to match, that would just be amazing.

Comment

Looks great! What brand/type of mill do you have? Do you do your own CAD and programming?
          '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Very nice, what looks like extra work to some is fun for others. i like what i see so far, keep it up, and pm me a price on another shifter setup like that.
            Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
            Bimmerbuddies LLC
            717-388-1256
            2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
            bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
              You should make some oval trumpets to match, that would just be amazing.
              Talk about some hours! They would look awesome though.

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
              Looks great! What brand/type of mill do you have? Do you do your own CAD and programming?
              Ive got a HAAS, the only VMC that is 100 percent an American made product. I do all my own design and simulation via solidworks. I have formal training as a machinist, but the CNC end was self taught my first couple years working, same with solidworks. I am sure someone that has taken a class or two would cringe the way I program haha.

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
              Very nice, what looks like extra work to some is fun for others. i like what i see so far, keep it up, and pm me a price on another shifter setup like that.
              I sure will. Its very "gatey"...I like it, but I dont know that everyone will.

Comment

Plenum Work

Hand finishing is time consuming

Comment

An Audi 2.7 Intake mod just for fun

Comment

Here is my throttle body rough machined

Overview

Comment

Originally posted by shocwav3 View Post

Ive got a HAAS, the only VMC that is 100 percent an American made product. I do all my own design and simulation via solidworks. I have formal training as a machinist, but the CNC end was self taught my first couple years working, same with solidworks. I am sure someone that has taken a class or two would cringe the way I program haha.

Interesting. I work as a CNC machinist and I've done some programming, but I would like to learn Solidworks, which I'd need to do on my own.
                      '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                        Interesting. I work as a CNC machinist and I've done some programming, but I would like to learn Solidworks, which I'd need to do on my own.
                        All my programming was self taught, but Solidworks really is the easiest(most user friendly) AND the most robust program Ive ever used. It suits my needs better than any other.

Comment

Making my throttle body Spring.

TB Assembly. This one is for a Turbo S2000, I was building both TB's at the same time and forgot to snap a pic of mine.

Comment

Looks awesome! Two other questions if you don't mind.

How did you make the throttle plate?

What lathe are you using?

Comment

Two other questions if you don't mind.

How did you make the throttle plate?

I hate to call this a trade secret, but I spent an ass load of time figuring this out. Don't get me wrong, you can use a hole saw blank and it will work, Kinda...
                              To get it to act like a stock throttle body took a lot of playing around with the design. And each car is still a little different, like our beloved BMW's that close almost completely when idling. That was a new one for me!
                              I will tell you that a waterjet or laser will not get you close enough without hand finishing....

What lathe are you using?

Its a PM1236. Good all around lathe for the money. I am on the hunt for a Hardinge HLV-H.

Comment

haha, at least I know my curiosity concerning throttle plates is justified.

Funny, I spent time on the two Hardinge HLV-H lathes we have at work before moving to CNC. All I can say is I adore them, they are tremendous machines. But you obviously know that.

A good friend of mine purchased a 1948 Monarch 10EE earlier this year for his personal workshop. People often compare them with the HLV-H. His needs some TLC and I haven't personally run it, but it appears as though it could go toe to toe with the Hardinge.

Comment

Working...
                                X