Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knocking type sound: Is it the mechanic or me being paranoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking type sound: Is it the mechanic or me being paranoid?

Final stages of my swap (M52+G250 ->318i) which mechanic originally sourced and installed but didn't have time to finish. So he offered me his shop, I took over the finish work. Got it to start but then it started developing a scraping/knocking sound within a few times of running it before driving. Mechanic said it wasn't a knock but something else.

He pulled the transmission and found the the M3 clutch/fw he installed was scraping the inner bell housing and fork. So ordered new E36 328i clutch/fw and he installed today.

I get to the shop hoping that I would have the car done but walk to the back I see that the oil pan has been removed. I talk to his shop hand mechanic and he tells me the engine bearing is shot. I find the owner/head mechanic and he tells me that the pan from the 525i he sourced is scraping and the bearing isn't shot.

He begins to show me that its hitting in two places (blue squares in link) and he had to cut the pan out (red squares) to avoid scraping. He says that M50 is different than M52 and it's scraping. I thought that was very strange because I have scoured the net for 24V swap info and I have never heard of modifying the oil pan.

Please provide your two cents. Is there something more serious going on here? Or am I being paranoid?
    Last edited by E30Runt; 09-16-2014, 06:54 PM.
    1984 AW 318i - aka Runt

Which baffle is being used. I used the e34 m50nv baffle that was alreadynribeted into that pan and in fact had to cut it to clear the crank. If you use the m52 baffle i dont think any mods are necessary.

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320137

Ok so mine didnt hit crank but wouldnt bolt down. Fuzzy memory. Either way this works.

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/arch...?t-318365.html

Comment

Looks like the m50nv e34 oil pan baffle is different even than the m50tu e34 pan baffle....

Comment

The whole situation seems suspect to me. Do you know the mechanic well? As in, do you trust him?
            Maybe just me, but if I was being paid to do a swap I wouldn't call the customer and tell him, "sorry I don't have the time to finish, but feel free to come down and button it up".

When the sh*t hits the fan, it will be easy for him to say he didn't do it.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, you guys might be cool like that, just an outsider looking in.

Comment

Thank you so much! This is a huge relief.
              1984 AW 318i - aka Runt

Comment

Originally posted by shocwav3 View Post
                The whole situation seems suspect to me. Do you know the mechanic well? As in, do you trust him?
                Maybe just me, but if I was being paid to do a swap I wouldn't call the customer and tell him, "sorry I don't have the time to finish, but feel free to come down and button it up".

When the sh*t hits the fan, it will be easy for him to say he didn't do it.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, you guys might be cool like that, just an outsider looking in.
                I appreciate your perspective. I felt paranoid only today because of the situation but he had always taken care of me and was really forthright about everything else. I've learned alot during this process of taking it on and now after MPowerful's post makes me trust him more though he is still one busy lazy SOB (in a good way)
                1984 AW 318i - aka Runt

Comment

Originally posted by E30Runt View Post
                  I appreciate your perspective. I felt paranoid only today because of the situation but he had always taken care of me and was really forthright about everything else. I've learned alot during this process of taking it on and now after MPowerful's post makes me trust him more though he is still one busy lazy SOB (in a good way)

Haha,

Ive got a local Indy that I am the same way with, so I was kind of leaning towards you guys having that relationship.Glad to hear its nothing major.

Comment

Working...
                  X