A tale of two Alpine coupes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of two Alpine coupes.

I guess it's time to start a thread on these cars. All last year I was itching for a project car. Almost bit the bullet on a couple of crx's, a few different cars.. then I saw this one.

She was a mess. Interior was thrashed. Originally Pacific Blue Comfort. Which as it turns out.. rare. Someone had broken the drivers side pop out, and stolen the car at some point. The ignition cylinder was f'd, The PO had pulled the pigtail off and had it just sitting off the dash.

PO had said that she runs, but the motor mount was cracked. Well, the motor mount was fine. It was the subframe and oilpan that was fucked. I got her home and started digging in. At this point, I knew NOTHING of E30's. I had ZERO tools. Not much mechanical ability, but a whole lot of mechanical enthusiasm.
    Pulled the interior, cleaned it up as best as I could.. then I started digging into the front end. Pulled everything I thought I needed off, headlights, valence, grills, etc... just to learn. Went through many trips to the junkyard and buying parts off R3V.. picked up a new oil pan, subframe, motor mounts from condor, e36 steering rack, AKG spacers, new steering guibo, m3 offset CAB's, new ignition lock unit, Mtech1 steering wheel, Sport passenger seat, early model pop-out, is wing, new bottlecaps, and a few other odds and ends. Installed all of that after quite a bit of trial and error. After all of that, it took about 3 months working on it after work, when I could get the time. I pushed her out, filled her with fluids, and started her up.

It was bad. there's a broken piston. Sounds awful. So this eta is done.
    I'm ashamed at how much of a mess this garage is. Sorry R3V.
    Then we moved to a new house. Got her loaded up on a trailer, parked her in the garage, and didn't touch it for about 4 or 5 months.

About a month ago, I was having a few after work, browsing the classifieds, when I see these Rial Mesh are still for sale. It had been a few months, I was drooling over them when I first saw them, so I bought em..

Last Friday, I'm browsing through Craigslist, and I see "84 BMW for parts".
    Now the story with this car, is that about 2 years ago I saw it driving around our small little town. It was in great shape, I remember seeing "Racing Dynamics" on the rear lip, had a nice looking front and rear spoiler.. I even thought I saw it on here from another members post.

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
    You got that off CL? The white one? Which CL? Looks like one that was for sale in humboldt a few months ago that I missed out on buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, it had changed hands a few times, from the owner I saw driving it, to a mechanic that worked at a dealership near me, then on to a different mechanic. I knew it was the car when I saw the CL ad...

Went and met with the guy on Saturday, he towed it to my house on Sunday.

This was Sunday afternoon.
    This was its state by Monday night.

The 84 came with some sort of aftermarket exhaust, eibach springs, eibach sways, tan houndstooth interior with sport seats in good condition, worlds smallest leather white steering wheel,

RD rear apron, Zender wing, possibly RD side skirts (if anyone can confirm?)

a good running M20 attached to a bad auto trans, and good body parts all around. I'm going to be stripping this thing to the shell, then transferring all the parts to the 87.

It will be slow going, but I'll keep this thread updated.

Good job on saving another e30 and graciously using another may i say fairly decent doner car to give its life too. Looks like you got this and will turn this into a decent car.

Comment

I like that wheel TBH, but it is old school. if its for sale with a hub send me a PM cause my 3-spoke is shot. Actually let me know if its FS either way
      Last edited by rcsoundn1; 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

You're first in line. I'M still in the midst of taking everything off the 84. After that, a proper inventory of what I've got. Because I'm going to be running without PS, this miniature wheel would be more of a pain in the ass then anything. It's got a hub, but it sticks out from the column a LOT. So much so that the PO did a hack job on moving the seat back about 5 inches.

It's an interesting set up. Hope you've got short arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X