Restoration.... or is it Resuscitation??? - '88 Lachsilber/Cardinal M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration.... or is it Resuscitation??? - '88 Lachsilber/Cardinal M3

New England... a grouping of states in the Northeast of the United States... Ivy League schools, home of the founding fathers of America, cobblestone streets, scenic coastal fishing communities... and snow. Snow... and more snow... and to combat that snow, the hearty folk residing in the Northeast resort to salt, and calcium chloride to keep the roads clean, so soccer mom's can sip their morning latte's while cruising down the highway without so much as a second thought to the prospect of ice or freezing rain beneath their tires.

If you've been around E30 M3's long enough, you know there was a time where a sub 100k mile M3 could be purchased for far less than the cost of the then "New" E36 M3. The E36 promised better performance, more HP (This is Amer'ca - HP rules all right?), and the sedate daily driving experience to be able to lug through stop and go traffic with torque. Torque - the siren song that drew a few E30 M3 owners into selling their car and "upgrading!"

So what's the point you're asking? Why the silly history lesson on localized weather and geography?? Why pour salt into the open wound that at one time you could buy a sub 100k mile E30 M3 for less than $15,000???? Well - when that was the case, the panache of the car had faded, and some owners resigned the cars to – 4 season cars. You West Coast residents won’t understand – but 4 seasons here in the Northeast means snow, and ice, and the aforementioned sand/salt/calcium chloride mix that given time, dampness, and heat, will turn a great car into a Bring a Trailer – Where They Rust candidate.

Enter the 1988 M3 shown below… the current owner having taken stewardship many years ago, perhaps after previous owners transgressions of winter driving had already taken place. We won't blame him, and will protect his anonymity! He enjoyed the car for years, using it summers and falls here in NH. The annual inspection time came around during mid-summer of 2014, and the car failed to pass due to “small hole in passenger footwell.” You see in NH, we don’t require drivers to wear seatbelts, we don’t have an income tax, and we don’t have a sales tax – but you better not have a hole through the steel to the interior cabin of your car!

The car arrived here for a basic inspection, and to see how bad this small hole could be. The owner hoped to have it repaired and be back on the road before the end of summer – Fall Foliage drives are great in the Northeast. So the general inspection (or was it dissection?) began.

The “small hole” after removing the passenger side rocker panel:

Time to dig deeper.
    Time has proven, that when we find rust like the above, there is more, usually a good bit more… like an expedition in the desert to find Jimmy Hoffa – you just have to keep digging…

-Yes, that’s the foam of the interior carpet you see in the background-

-Below the fusebox

Time to pull the interior and see what maladies are hidden below the cardinal carpet…

While we’re in there, we should probably check the windshield frame, as there certainly is some bubbling around the passenger lower corner…

-Better pull the cowl off…

Is this what we call Scope, creep?
    Below the radar...

You are a splendid story teller. Now is the owner going through with the rust repair now that its been seen it's a lot more than original or did you buy it off them after seeing?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

That isn't all that bad. Honestly you still have paint on the floor pans.

Be prepared to rebuild frame rails under the floor pan, start looking at your shock towers under a microscope, check the cross member that runs between the upper spring perches, examine the spring perches, check under the fuel filler tube dirt builds up under the fender liners. Also, fuel tank mounts.

I wish you luck. If you don't already own a metal brake I would suggest investing in on. It has been the only tool I couldn't make do without when rebuild body panels.
      1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
      2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
      2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Highly entertained by the story which i think over dramatizes the amount of rust. Ive seen many eaten out cars in the NE and while not too good, I dont think this is end of the world. I'm sure if the front looked like this you have some rust in the rear wheel arches?

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          You are a splendid story teller. Now is the owner going through with the rust repair now that its been seen it's a lot more than original or did you buy it off them after seeing?
          Owner elected to repair the rust.

Originally posted by ravenlord89 View Post
          That isn't all that bad. Honestly you still have paint on the floor pans.

Be prepared to rebuild frame rails under the floor pan, start looking at your shock towers under a microscope, check the cross member that runs between the upper spring perches, examine the spring perches, check under the fuel filler tube dirt builds up under the fender liners. Also, fuel tank mounts.

I wish you luck. If you don't already own a metal brake I would suggest investing in on. It has been the only tool I couldn't make do without when rebuild body panels.
          Thanks, I'm pretty confident we've got the skills and tools to make it work. ;)
          Frame rails are solid, fuel line area already addressed, perches and associated points are fine.
          You can see some of the other restorations here: www.VSR1.com

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
          Highly entertained by the story which i think over dramatizes the amount of rust. Ive seen many eaten out cars in the NE and while not too good, I dont think this is end of the world. I'm sure if the front looked like this you have some rust in the rear wheel arches?
          It's meant to be entertaining. Yes, there are far worse rust repairs out there... but it would be pretty boring to just post a bunch of photos and say "Hi, we fixed some rust. Enjoy." :yawn:
          I'm not highlighting the complete level of remediation that occurred - more the basic overview.

Below post brings it "up to date" in the story.

Thanks,
          -Chris
          VSR1 | Bedford | BMW Repair | BMW Service |
          Below the radar...

Comment

So the arctic chill has settled in across the United States... Texas is in the teens(14*F!!), here in Bow, NH this morning at VSR HQ, it was -10*F. But then again, we're a hearty breed of folk, with enough flannel, long-johns, and New England Grit to suffer through and make it work. So while the rest of the USA is looting the FoodKing, and huddled at home watching re-runs of The Day After Tomorrow to learn how to cope with the cold, we just kept on plugging away.

Well, better get on with it… enough chat...

At the time of writing, and the repair, there are no new replacement/patch panels available for the floor pans of E30’s. Sectioning in a donor piece from another car wasn’t high on the list, as locating a rust free example would take too much time, and too much faith in someone with a cut-off wheel and a sawzall to remove it without turning it into an origami sculpture…

Solution – create a form to fabricate the proper floor pan drain and drain channels to retain OE appearance.

-With new factory drain plug installed.

Bear in mind, while the repairs were extensive, this project was never planned as a concours restoration. so we weren't focused on making it appear like there had never been any repair work. We were focused on making sure the rust was repaired, correctly, and the car was sound and solid - while retaining as much OE appearance as possible (within reason). The dollar bill printing machine was on the fritz this month, so we had to be reasonable.

Oh right, this was why we started this wasn’t it… “Small hole in passenger footwell”

The magic of the internet (not unlike the TV shows on Velocity, History, etc), and now we’ve got new metal welded in and are etch priming!

Time for some color and sealing/undercoating underneath before actual undercoating is applied.

Did I mention we had to rebuild the rear tow-hook mounts too??

Original and new sound deadening mat being reinstalled

...So now it's mid-afternoon here at VSR, it's warmed up to a balmy 7*F outside. Time to take a break, put on some sunscreen, grab a towel, and go soak up some rays!
            The snow reflects the light, it's better than a tanning booth!

Until tomorrow.....
            Below the radar...

Comment

Didn't realize you were a shop. I ever so much love seeing proper work being done to save an E30.
              1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
              2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
              2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Nice work, looking forward to seeing more.
                My Feedback

Comment

Good stuff man thanks for sharing!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

WOW nice job!!

Comment

Wish they all could be California...cars. Good to see another one saved. I'm curious what do you do to prevent more rust? do you guys dip the car or what? what's to stop it from reoccurring and rusting in a different area?
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Really nice work!
                        Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                        1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

sweet - wish you were local to me!
                          91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                          ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            Wish they all could be California...cars. Good to see another one saved. I'm curious what do you do to prevent more rust? do you guys dip the car or what? what's to stop it from reoccurring and rusting in a different area?
                            This isn't a complete bare chassis restoration, so on this one it's removing as much of the rust as possible, within the owners budget, and etching/sealing/epoxy the new metal and surrounding metal.

On some of the E9's, they've been given a dip after chemical bath stripping - however, even the dip doesn't get to all the sandwiched metal parts with the way 70's-80's BMW's were built.

Glad you guys are enjoying the photos.
                            I'll add more soon.

-Chris
                            Below the radar...

Comment

I love seeing projects like these! There's so much work involved in making perfect looking patch panels, it's awesome to see a master at work!

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X