Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325iX Touring (wrecked)

Hello, 'bout time I join this forum.

So some background info on this, my dad and I travel to the Philadelphia area to pick up this rare bird, an '89 iX Touring. The car was in amazing shape considering the age and mileage, the only letdown was the autotragic. So here are some pictures of it when we brought it back to our hometown.

And then, this happened.

My dad was driving it around on a nice December day, when an elderly guy plowed into him without braking.

Still going through the insurance nightmare right now. We just got the car appraised and will hopefully get a reasonable offer from the insurance company, but it looks like it will be totaled...
    Last edited by JustAnotherChris; 02-19-2015, 03:54 PM.
    '84 318i 2dr 5spd (Sold)
    '02 Audi A6 2.7t 6spd (Daily)
    '89 325iX Touring (wrecked )

Shite !!!! glad your dads ok

these tourings seem to attract accidents like a magnet ,there was a nice one up here in the PNW that was sideswiped totalled shortly after importation last year .

good luck with the insurance , this is why my M3's arent dailies
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Wow.. Glad he is okay.. Driving is scary stuff in traffic these days. I feel safer at car control clinics than on the road. Hope your insurance feud goes your way.
      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

I have my eye on 88 ix touring for next winter :)
        sigpic
        Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
        1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Very sorry for your loss. She as a beaut. Hope you get another.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

So sorry to see this.
            Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
            1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. We're still sorting out everything, but we are already looking at a few candidates for a replacement. Our budget just depends on how much we can get back from this debacle, but I will keep it updated!

On another note, I realize some of my pictures are unnaturally big and I can't go back and resize them... Could I get someone to do that for me?
              '84 318i 2dr 5spd (Sold)

Comment

Would that rear window visor fit a coupe rear window?

Comment

Welcome! Cool to see a Touring in the Cleveland area! I'm over in Willoughby. I see the Sirl's tow truck.... I'm guessing West Side, haha.
                  -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                  '95 525iT
                  '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                  '98 Disco 1

Comment

You didn't put Agreed Value Insurance on the car? Shame because you would not be dealing with insurance companies at this time still.

Good luck with the resolution.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Considering it is an iX and a touring (rare) - this pup needs to go to the frame shop for a new QP and hatch. how badly is the roof buckled? That thing could be back in primer on the road in a few days!

Comment

Man I remember seeing this car on craigslist, the wheels and color combo give it away. Sorry to see that happen.

But come on, you cant have a rant on how old people shouldn't be driving based off this. If you suggest stroke, its not his fault. He could have had a spotless driving record up until this unfortunate event. Young people can have unseen problems too and id be more worried over a reckless fresh driving teen than a old person that cant do the speedlimit. Im not one to complain or argue much but that's ridiculous. Call to actions over one misshape your dad was involved with.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Not sure how things are done where you at, but don’t go for bluebook value. You need to do your research and ask insurance for market value (you can fight and negotiate price).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
                            Welcome! Cool to see a Touring in the Cleveland area! I'm over in Willoughby. I see the Sirl's tow truck.... I'm guessing West Side, haha.
                            Nice, yeah it happened in parma. The car was kept at sirls for a bit after the accident.
                            Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                            You didn't put Agreed Value Insurance on the car? Shame because you would not be dealing with insurance companies at this time still.

Good luck with the resolution.
                            Nope haha
                            Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                            Considering it is an iX and a touring (rare) - this pup needs to go to the frame shop for a new QP and hatch. how badly is the roof buckled? That thing could be back in primer on the road in a few days!
                            The roof is buckled pretty bad. Looks like a lot of work would be needed to make it roadworthy again, and we would need to get some parts across the pond (not cheap). The car was hit right where the battery was so that also exploded and ruined a lot of the interior.
                            Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                            Man I remember seeing this car on craigslist, the wheels and color combo give it away. Sorry to see that happen.

But come on, you cant have a rant on how old people shouldn't be driving based off this. If you suggest stroke, its not his fault. He could have had a spotless driving record up until this unfortunate event. Young people can have unseen problems too and id be more worried over a reckless fresh driving teen than a old person that cant do the speedlimit. Im not one to complain or argue much but that's ridiculous. Call to actions over one misshape your dad was involved with.
                            Thanks, I understand where you're coming from. I wrote that right after it happened so I might not have been thinking straight. But I still think it should be common sense to at least retest people after a certain age, regardless of past driving records, mainly just because of possible deteriorating mental and physical health that could make them unsuitable for the road and a danger to themselves and anyone around them.
                            Originally posted by E30HV View Post
                            Not sure how things are done where you at, but don’t go for bluebook value. You need to do your research and ask insurance for market value (you can fight and negotiate price).
                            Weve got an appraisal on the car already and are waiting on an offer from the guys insurance company. It still looks like its gonna take time but I think one way or another we will work things out.
                            '84 318i 2dr 5spd (Sold)

Comment

Ive had my e30 totalled out twice because of careless drivers. I feel your pain. Im no body expert but it looks pretty done.

The Build:
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Working...
                              X