Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad, sad car... 67k mile, one owner, Cali... Rusted to shit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If somebody is willing to pay 5 grand for a 318, I guess my 325iC must have doubled in value since I bought it in May...

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
      If somebody is willing to pay 3 cents for a 325, I guess my 318i must have doubled in value since I bought it 7 years ago...
      Makes just as much sense.

Don't be part of the problem, just embrace all* of the styles and flavors of E30. As well as the owners of those respective models and their personal tastes.

*Yes, even the M10s.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
        Sad to see it rusted like that, but any competent body shop with a good metal worker should be able to easily patch it up. Whenever I see a low mileage car with "cosmetic" issues I always figure it was involved in some sort of incident that tweaked the panel alignment, which snowballs into rust issues, but I don't know if I see that with this car. If it is properly dismantled, and all the rust is repaired, everything documented, and professionally reassembled I don't see that process hurting the car's value at all. Whatever the case, I just hope this car is enjoyed again by its new owner.
        I'm not sure that I would classify a full paint job with panel replacements, and patch jobs at seams as "easy."

I mean, yes, you certainly can fix the (visible) damage, and the undercarriage looks nice (probably because all the salt fell on the top), but there's been a lot of salt running inside frame rails and body panels on that car. If by "easily" you mean "stroke a check for $15k," then sure. I'm not really sure how you think that wouldn't impact the value, though. If this was a genuinely clean car, EAG would already have snapped it up and it would be for sale for $29k (like this functionally identical car: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51 ). As it is, you could fix it up, and you'd see some premium for the mileage, but you won't get back anything like the cost of actually fixing that car.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Dat red tape is AMAZING!!!!

:nice:
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Salt, not fog.

That's a car that's been in salt spray.

And one you'd want to approach very, very carefully. There may be whole
            parts of it that just aren't there. Or it might be salvageable.

But it's almost pristine compared to an E30 that's done 5 winters in the rust belt...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              I'm not sure that I would classify a full paint job with panel replacements, and patch jobs at seams as "easy."

I mean, yes, you certainly can fix the (visible) damage, and the undercarriage looks nice (probably because all the salt fell on the top), but there's been a lot of salt running inside frame rails and body panels on that car. If by "easily" you mean "stroke a check for $15k," then sure. I'm not really sure how you think that wouldn't impact the value, though. If this was a genuinely clean car, EAG would already have snapped it up and it would be for sale for $29k (like this functionally identical car: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51 ). As it is, you could fix it up, and you'd see some premium for the mileage, but you won't get back anything like the cost of actually fixing that car.
              i agree with this x100.

the poor car is coming unglued from the inside out. how many spots like that are there just under the surface that have yet to show themselves? you can fix the 20 or 30 "blemishes", but a couple years down the road there will be 20 or 30 more.

some time ago, there was a guy in hawaii with a drakar yellow e30m3. it was rusted like this or perhaps worse. he got really pissed off at me for pointing out this very fact about the vehicle he was selling. i sure wish i could talk to whomever ended up with that car today to see what kind of train wreck it turned into.

the reality is that whoever buys any car like this is in for an assbang to the wallet (unless they elect to drive it without fixing anything.) its just never going to stop falling apart.

maybe if you get the body acid dipped, it will only have 5 or 10 new rust spots in a few years instead of 20 or 30.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I agree that the body is highly likely to be way worse than we can see and I question if it even has the structural integrity to be safe let alone pass an inspection
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Funny, pictures of the car where taken literally 5 blocks from my house, small world.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                  1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                  1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                  1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                  1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                  1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                  Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                  1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                  1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

You want to see rust and rot? Go to new england. That car isn't nearly as bad as half the cars in the salt belt. But you'd have to buy that car with the understanding that you would drive it for a few years but eventually swap the interior over to another car. It'd be a good beater. So to value it, take how much a beater e30 goes for and add the cost of a nice interior, plastic bumpers, basketweaves with caps, body panels that aren't rusted, etc etc, then consider what you would pay for a good 10 footer. I could easily make a case for buying that car.

We're all worried about our cars being dented or dinged in parking lots or while changing ways. With this car you can have a car that looks good, but you don't have to worry about. Best of both worlds. However I wouldn't pay more than 3500.. which is including driving it for a few years, then swapping the good stuff over to a cheaper car and then parting this one out.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

some time ago, there was a guy in hawaii with a drakar yellow e30m3. it was rusted like this or perhaps worse. he got really pissed off at me for pointing out this very fact about the vehicle he was selling. i sure wish i could talk to whomever ended up with that car today to see what kind of train wreck it turned into.
                      I think this ended up in the PNW, not 100% sure but it sounds familiar

Cant believe the OP car is at $6400 now...
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

firewall and plenum chamber shot.

Ive pulled a metric shit tonne of doors down on E30s and never have I seen rust in that spot. There are common spots they do rust and just by seeing that I would write the other 4 doors off.

That car needs a lethal injection. Hate to see the sunroof cartridge
                        Boris - 89 E30 325i
                        84- E30 323i

Comment

Yeah it's crazy the amount of unconventional rust spots it has.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                            You want to see rust and rot? Go to new england. That car isn't nearly as bad as half the cars in the salt belt. But you'd have to buy that car with the understanding that you would drive it for a few years but eventually swap the interior over to another car. It'd be a good beater. So to value it, take how much a beater e30 goes for and add the cost of a nice interior, plastic bumpers, basketweaves with caps, body panels that aren't rusted, etc etc, then consider what you would pay for a good 10 footer. I could easily make a case for buying that car.

We're all worried about our cars being dented or dinged in parking lots or while changing ways. With this car you can have a car that looks good, but you don't have to worry about. Best of both worlds. However I wouldn't pay more than 3500.. which is including driving it for a few years, then swapping the good stuff over to a cheaper car and then parting this one out.
                            I completely agree that I would pay money for this car. It's got a lot of great parts that I'd be happy to use.

I disagree that it looks good. (I'm very confident that the exterior looks FAR worse in person.)

And yes, there are many worse cars in the salt belt, but that's not really the point. This car has passed the threshold for awful, pervasive rust. It's a parts car, and that's about it. And unfortunately, it's a 318, so the engine isn't that interesting.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              Yeah it's crazy the amount of unconventional rust spots it has.
                              IKR?

I've had doors sitting outside in the rain for a while and they still didn't show rust like that. I would assume that thing is Swiss cheese.
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I wonder how bad this car looked BEFORE the seller cleaned it up to this point?

:crazy:
                                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X