Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Non-E30 Content] Thinking about purchasing a 300TD as a Daily Driver in New England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy has a 280e w123 he drove from New Mexico to California. The car lived in NM its whole live and even it has rust. I've seen people drive w123s in CT and they usually last about three years. They rust out like no other. I drove my friend's car for a bit and while it's kinda cool to ride around in, it's slow as balls. As in it won't go over 65.

If I had 6k to spend on a car it certainly wouldn't be an old Mercedes, especially as a dd.

The thing about that car and its recorded history is you'd be a fool to subject it to salty New England winters. You could spend every weekend and every day after a major snow storm washing off the undercarriage and it would still rust through and kill the car. Why do that to such a clean car? I'm sure there are others that would be better suited for the north, especially if you're only going to own the car for a year or so.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

These W124/6s pull a premium for sure. That is a lot of cash but the car you show seems pretty clean and in line with prices I have seen. Throw in the touring and you got an extra bump in the price.

These things are rusty. The motors will far outlive the floorboards. One I looked at locally was a nice enough car, it ran, was not nearly as much money but it was rusty at the floor boards.

My W126 (300SD) luckily is clean on the floors and rails but at the C Pillar base there is rust near the back glass.

Most of the vehicle works with a vacuum system. That can suck. The locks. The trans.

The HVAC is a bit goofy. My HVAC is yanked out by a PO so my first hand experience is limited.

The window motors/lifters can be replaced. I got a set of them for $40 from a local kid parting one out. They were not a direct bolt up but minimal problem solving got me a driver's window that works. Still need a day to fix the front right window... gets cold some morning.

Working on the model line is pretty simple otherwise. What must be addressed is the oil cooler lines. They routinely leak. The OEM replacements are drying up. I am not aware of aftermarket. They are expensive. Replacing the lower oil cooler line means jacking up the motor. What I did was visit the local hydraulic supply shop, got the extreme duty line and replaced only the rubber parts of the oil cooler lines. Careful dremel work and patience, saved a ton of money, effort and time while providing a better than OEM solution.

And visit MercedesSource and watch all of Ken's videos. He is an amazing part of the community. Good prices on proven products, thorough write-ups and superb videos with no nonsense guidance.

I enjoy my W126. I just wish it would be a better example of the chassis. I may love it more.

I know not as iconic and sexy, but at 6k you can get some newer MB wagons. I had my eye on a early 00s E500! Granted it was a bit more than 6k, but there were some out there in my search that were closer to the 6k. Even an E350. Rear facing seats for the cargo area. V8. Even a 190TE?

It is tough to deny the appeal of the older MB. Some really sexy cars. I enjoy mine as a step back in time, to think this 300SD was a real head turner lets you appreciate how the industry has advanced and times have changed. One of the first few days I had my 300SD home, a neighbor walked by and gawked. He recalled in his younger years having a similar model and commented to the affect, if you had one of these you were doing pretty well for yourself. My 300SD speaks to me. I just wish it was a better specimen worthy of preservation.
      Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 11-03-2016, 06:51 AM.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
      X