• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
    :o

Originally posted by CabrioPunk View Post
    What a bastard.
    :twisted:

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    odd, since it hasn't been that long since Virginia actually loosened up the vintage car tag rules (giving a bigger distance limit, and eliminating annual mileage). Of course, Virginia it has always been 25 years for "historic/vintage"....you guys had it good in the U.S.S.M.

Don't worry - the people with the money who donate to campaigns are the ones with the high-dollar vintage cars. You can bet their reps will hear from them.

From what I've heard, the main reason is abuse of the law, not money. Like people registering cars vintage and daily-driving them (a guy at my work does that with his corvette), or guys buying a "vintage" box van and then using it for work.....

My rallycross car is tagged vintage, but luckily rallycross is a "car club activity" (SCCA) :)
    Pretty much what i've been saying all along.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Sending an email when I get home. Also, I really hope that the emails being sent are well thought out, and written respectfully. Nothing could ruin chances more than a bunch of inconsiderate, pissed off people complaining about how much money this is going to cost them.
      Last edited by FunfGan; 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
        Hah, everyone drives dd's on historic's. Pretty much every e30 owner around here does, as I will be. Theres no way I'm going to adapt my swap to pass emissions.

Edit: And sending an email when I get home. Also, I really hope that the emails being sent are well thought out, and written respectfully. Nothing could ruin chances more than a bunch of inconsiderate, pissed off people complaining about how much money this is going to cost them.
        Something tells me they maynot be. Cause the general group of people writting in will be the ones who daily their historic. So they will be pissed now that they have to get them inspected. Even more so at your end of the state where you guys have emission testing. Cause western maryland dont have that, only visual inspections.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          Something tells me they maynot be. Cause the general group of people writting in will be the ones who daily their historic. So they will be pissed now that they have to get them inspected. Even more so at your end of the state where you guys have emission testing. Cause western maryland dont have that, only visual inspections.
          Exactly, why I'm worried about how these emails will go. I too, as I said, will be dd-ing on historics, but they still need to be written from the point of true enthusiasts. It effects us, just as much as it may others who truly drive their classics often, and put lots of miles on their cars. It truly is a detriment to all enthusiasts, and I hope it doesn't happen, but its bound to pass :(

Question though, what happens if you have a car on historics and the odo just "happens" to break? I've often wondered what happens to those companies who do check, and they encounter cars with broken odo's....

Just another reason I hate Maryland...

Go here be happy!

Comment

Good question about the odo. Got to wonder if the car will be turned in saying it isnt actual mileage. But here is something else to look at with the bill.

The measure would also require that an historic vehicle is insured by an historic vehicle, show vehicle or antique insurance policy
            I know it varies from ins co to ins co. But i do have my Corvair with Antique tags and Antique ins with under State Farm. They wont insure it unless the car was made before 1970! And i'm sure other insuance places may have alot of restrictions too for Historic cars. So yeah i think people will be mighty pissed about this. Although i'm not surprised to see it coming. And basicly Maryland is a mini California!

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Even more so at your end of the state where you guys have emission testing. Cause western maryland dont have that, only visual inspections.
              Are you implying that I could just go to an inspection station in western MD to avoid emissions testing? That would be awesome.
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

And people probably wondering why i keep on tossing my 2 cents in on this. I do live in PA, but live 4 miles from MD state line, i work in MD and basicly do all my buiness in MD. And its kind of a tight region up here (PA/MD/WV) might as well be our own little state! Talk to some people down on the other end of the state and they think MD ends around Frederick. And that Western MD is actually WV! But you never know i may end up moving to MD one day, and seeing what happens over there may effect my future in MD if i ever deside to move there. So its kind of a look out for my part.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                  Are you implying that I could just go to an inspection station in western MD to avoid emissions testing? That would be awesome.
                  Id say get a P.O. box up here and register the car to that box. Cause i'm sure they would look to see what county the car is registered in. Dont know if it would work or not? Just thinking out loud.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Id say get a P.O. box up here and register the car to that box. Cause i'm sure they would look to see what county the car is registered in. Dont know if it would work or not? Just thinking out loud.
                    that wouldnt be a bad idea...

Comment

hagerty will insure e30's

thing is, to be covered you have to be 21yrs of age or older, which rules a lot of us out.

as of now my e30 is in my moms name, the insurance is in my name with her as a listed driver on it. worst comes to worst, keep a spare cat in your house to bolt in for inspection

Comment

here's the bill

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
                          Hah, everyone drives dd's on historic's. Pretty much every e30 owner around here does, as I will be. Theres no way I'm going to adapt my swap to pass emissions.

Edit: And sending an email when I get home. Also, I really hope that the emails being sent are well thought out, and written respectfully. Nothing could ruin chances more than a bunch of inconsiderate, pissed off people complaining about how much money this is going to cost them.
                          Nothing could ruin chances more than people coming out publicly saying that "everyone drives dd's on historics".........

Because it's the people who DD with historic tags who are going to ruin it for everyone else, who use the historic tags for what they're supposed to be used for...

Just sayin'....
                          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop
                          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                            Nothing could ruin chances more than people coming out publicly saying that "everyone drives dd's on historics".........

Because it's the people who DD with historic tags who are going to ruin it for everyone else, who use the historic tags for what they're supposed to be used for...

Just sayin'....
                            The only reason I plan on running them, is that theres no way I could ever get my swap to pass any other way.

Go here be happy!

Comment

This is not about people daily driving their cars with historic tags. This is about revenue. Bag tax anyone?
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                                This is not about people daily driving their cars with historic tags. This is about revenue. Bag tax anyone?
                                Really? It was once 25 years old in MD at one time then they changed it to 20 for Historics, its just this time you'll need classic insurance to get the tags and back to 25 years old. So there will be a few historic daily drivers coming off of the roads. I fail to see where this is about revenue. You guys only have one time inspection right? And thats when you first buy the car too, isnt it? Having the car having to get classic ins will put a halt on people daily driving them. Not to gain revenue. If i'm missing something, fill me in. Cause i'm open to other peoples thoughts and info on this.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
                                X