No announcement yet.

DIY: Euro Smiley Ellipsoid + Foglight HID Install with *PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ I want to but med school is kicking my ass currently.
    -----------------------------------
    Life is too short to be driving a Honda.

sigpic

Comment

I've been running it for 3 years no prob, I've discussed these problems with my friend who has masters in electrical engineering, another who is physicist, I'm mechanical engineer, and a bunch other co-workers. It's fine :)
      "I wanna see da boat movie"
      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

also headlight fuses are 7.5amp so it will blow if over to prevent a fire. Peak amp is like a micro second not enough to do any damage. Look up the definition of fuse.

Comment

Sorry to bump such an old thread but are the covers even necessary? wouldn't it be easier to just use the stock wiring in the car and remove the covers and directly plug the H1 bulb in? (Do they serve a functional purpose?)

Comment

Originally posted by MaloventEvil View Post
            Sorry to bump such an old thread but are the covers even necessary? wouldn't it be easier to just use the stock wiring in the car and remove the covers and directly plug the H1 bulb in? (Do they serve a functional purpose?)
            Weather/moisture seal. If it were open to the elements, I believe there would be serious moisture issues in the headlight housing... The bulb is in no way creating an airtight seal against its metal mounting surface.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

That is a lot of work for putting a square peg in a round hole.
              But the kids on boulevard think your special.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Simplified photos and info coming soon for the more direct approach to the wiring.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

been a little more than 4 years with no problems on my wiring, can have all 4 lights with HID on NP
                  Last edited by Thizzelle; 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                    That is a lot of work for putting a square peg in a round hole.
                    But the kids on boulevard think your special.
                    You and your mission to tell everyone and their mother that HID's are no good. Why don't you just give up already? HID's aren't going anywhere so shove it... jeez.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                      You and your mission to tell everyone and their mother that HID's are no good. Why don't you just give up already? HID's aren't going anywhere so shove it... jeez.
                      Yep because of a bunch of uneducated asshats that "think" they work better. If it works so well then why cant I order up a Hella/Sylvania/GE HID kit???

Anyhoo clavinZERO good work on the install looks great!
                      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Yep because of a bunch of uneducated asshats that "think" they work better. If it works so well then why cant I order up a Hella/Sylvania/GE HID kit???

You make your own bloody kit with a nice lense.

Or wait for one of our own to finish the adapter:

I apologize for the O/T.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

What is everyone doing for their High beams? I would think that the color difference between the H1 halogen high beams, and the HID lows would look a little funny. I've read that HIDs dont work so well as high beams due to the warm up times.
                          Last edited by nyChris; 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Hid installation in bosch smileys

Hey what bulb are you using becuase all the h1 bulbs i see are to big for the slot in my smileys

Comment

Originally posted by nyChris View Post
                              What is everyone doing for their High beams? I would think that the color difference between the H1 halogen high beams, and the HID lows would look a little funny. I've read that HIDs dont work so well as high beams due to the warm up times.
                              Regular halogen H1 bulbs are fine for the brights. They seem to cut the night better being a little yellower and they are free. Plus I only run them on when nobody is looking so I don't care about looking weird with yellowish brights.
                              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                              Originally posted by roguetoaster
                              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

GO here, order for your lights, install proper projectors.http://squared-motorwerks.myshopify.com/
                                I've been running this since sometime in the spring and the kit is great. Light output is HUGE compared to OEM projectors with HID bulbs. Having optics designed specifically for Bi-Xenons is a massive improvement. I do half my driving in the dark and it is a killer setup. TL or E90 levels of light. Heck, with my fogs on constantly and bi-xenons plus halogen brights I could probably outgun anything short of aircraft landing lights.
                                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                                X