Peel&Seal vs dynamat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peel&Seal vs dynamat

Is P&S a suitable replacement for Dynamat? Anyone use either product? I'm mainly thinking floor, trunk (when the OEM tar is removed) and maybe doors?

Seriously considering this stuff...esp from the reviews. Would have to pick up a few roles next time Im in the US
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

I've used it several times and it work great for dampening vibration and blocking heat. Don't expect it to block sound passage though. What exactly are you looking for it to do?

Comment

I did the floor/firewall of my car. It makes it a bit more "solid" feeling in a way - mostly just by the sound of the road.

Read the reviews carefully. Some of the cheap stuff will "outgas" and leave your windows with a foggy coating for years after install. PITA.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

mostly noise. It would be under the carpet and in the doors etc/

sucks about the "outgas" thing. I'll have to look carefully for that

thanks
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

There are other brands that are very similar to Dyna but less expensive. I used one called fat mat that seemed to work fine. no outgassing that I noticed, but I used it in the trunk. It did make the car smell like a petrochemical factory for a few weeks.

Comment

GT Mat, Roadkill etc.

I just bought some GT Mat to try out. It is much cheaper, comes in 3 thicknesses and has no branding. It looks to have a high butyl content, but not as high as Dynamat, which I like because its easier to handle and not as messy.
            sigpic

Comment

What was that thing about dynamat leaking out messy oil if it gets like ~100 degrees?

Comment

Do you need to remove the dash to get effective coverage from engine bay noise/heat?
                sigpic
                January 2012 COTM

Comment

Best way to quite engine/tranny is to stop it *before* it's in the cabin/metal of the body. The factory heat shield/sound blanket is very effective. I know cause I removed mine, and wish I hadn't. No amount of "dynamat" will make up for it on the wrong side (from the inside) IMHO anyways....
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

P&S being a roofing product, is made from asphalt and will in fact out gas. I might consider using it in the trunk or doors but would avoid it in the passenger compartment for obvious reasons. I did my Tacoma w raammat which is a comparable (to dynamat) butyl based product only way cheaper so worth checking out.

The other thing is that these products are NOT block noise but they reduced harmonics, which is the drumming that drives you nuts. It is only helpful to cover the centre 25% oo so of the unspported area, so outer door skins but much smaller sections of the floor which is structurally reinforced. Anything more just adds weight and is a waste of $$.

For noise itself a thin sound absorbing foam does wonders...ie inner door skins, headliners etc
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                    X