How To: Change your diff fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Change your diff fluid

It's a simple task, but I figured I would do this for the noobies like me who have no idea what they're doing. ...maybe I'm not the best person to do the write-up... ;)

Tools/required parts
    -Gear Oil. 1 or 2 liters should do it. Mine only needed 1L. I used Royal Purple 75W-90. You should probably choose something a bit heavier if you plan on doing track use. You can research this on your own.
    -Hex key(NOT SOCKET) for your drain plugs. Mine was 10mm, but yours might be different. As I understand this varied from year to year. FWIW, I have a 3.64 open.
    -siphon pump or small length of hose.
    -Container to catch the old fluid.
    -jack/jackstands for extra clearance. Ramps will also suffice.

Devote about 1-2 hours to this project. Realistically, you could get this done in 30 minutes or less if you're experienced.

Ready?

1) get the rear end up.

2) Get your hex key and loosen the top drain plug.

3) After removing the top drain plug, move on to the bottom.

4) Wait a while until you're satisfied that ALL of the old fluid has been drained out. I think it took mine about 10-15 minutes.

5) Now is a good time to inspect your diff bushing and see what rear end your car has. This is the marker.

6) When the fluid is all out, put the lower plug back in. You can torque it now, or wait until you're all done. the torque spec is 41 ft/lbs.

7) Fill the diff with fluid. You can use a siphon pump, which didn't work too well for me, or you can do it straight from the bottle with a small hose to go into the hole. The second method was a LOT faster and easier. When the diff is full, you'll see the fluid start to drain out. I recommend you pull your gear oil bottle away from the diff, wipe the top drain clean and see if it continues to come out slowly(you might need a flash light). If it doesn't, it was just spillage from putting the oil into the diff. Keep filling. It'll look like this:

8) TORQUE DRAIN PLUGS. 41 ft/lbs. Don't forget!

After you're done and you've put the car down, drive the car and listen for any whines or noises out of the ordinary from the rear end. Don't go far if this is the case, jack the car up and check the level.

When you get home, check for leaks or anything else.

congrats, you've changed your differential fluid.
    Attached Files
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

my diff shat itself and not its all full of greasy oily muck :'( Doesn't look like its leaking anymore though?
    Last edited by e30BMart; 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

1. Drive the car beforehand to get the oil warm so it will drain faster.

2. Always get the car up and level to allow the diff to fully drain.

3. Get a 1/2" drive 10mm male hex socket. You'll probably have to cut it down to fit in the space between the spare tire well.

4. Clean out the hex opening in both plugs with a small flat screwdriver to assure the hex inserts fully into the plug. You really don't want to strip it out.

5. A hand pump with hose installed in a gallon jug really makes filling much easier.

6. Make sure you install new crush washers on the plugs before reinstalling.

Oh, and in case you didn't notice OP, your diff is leaking.

Comment

Good time to flush the diff while you are doing this. Just pump some fluid in after you have drained it with the bottom plug installed. Don't fill it completely. Then pull the bottom plug and redrain. Fluid should look cleaner. May have to do this a couple of times to completely remove all the old fluid. Also, remember that some fluids will not mix with others like Royal Purple. This will give you something like oil/water mix. One will float on the other. Enjoy knowing that you did it yourself!!
        Some people just need a sympathetic pat...
        on the head...
        WITH A HAMMER!!!

Comment

"Also, remember that some fluids will not mix with others like Royal Purple."

WHA?

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post

WHA?
            x2
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

you can also add the redline synthetic additive if you have lsd

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

How often do you need to change the diff fluid? Last time I changed it was 15,000 miles ago.

Comment

What type of gear oil should I use? Never tried changing my diff oil.. so I wanna make sure.

Comment

anyone have the part numbers for the crush washers for the diff drain/fill plugs?

Comment

DuMa

Number 6 and 7.

btw, RealOem.com is your new best friend.
                      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                      X