Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E38 Style 5's 16x8 - Best/Common Tire Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E38 Style 5's 16x8 - Best/Common Tire Size?

For others (preferably with lowered suspension) who are running re-drilled E38 Style 5's, what tire size are you running? or for wheel/tire guys in the section what would be a good choice for these wheels considering they are ET23 and require a 5mm spacer upfront. I found, In my opinion, a lot of picture made them look too pushed out from the body upfront, which I know there isn't much you can do about when they are 16x8 et 23 and require a 5mm spacer. I've attached a photo of what I mean, and the shown car is said to have no spacer up front and 205/50/16 rubber. Although it is not lowered I feel it pokes out of the fender/off the body too much up front, for the look I am going for. I was thinking of going 205/45/16 to try to keep them not so "poked" up front (and because I don't mind a little stretch look if that will occur). Otherwise I was thinking 215/40/16's in hopes of a normal finish, not too wide up front, and not showing too much tire profile but filling the fenders (Maybe using a small spacer in the rear as well. Any good input or opinion is appreciated.

T.I.A.

PS - anyone know how I can upload the pictures so that they are displayed in my post instead of linked as attachments?
    Attached Files
    Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Originally posted by ///M-TRD3 View Post
    PS - anyone know how I can upload the pictures so that they are displayed in my post instead of linked as attachments?

Just use the insert image button and add the pic link? They need to be hosted somewhere on the
    web so this method works photobucket, flickr...

Comment

see my sig.

205 45 16

getting new ones soon... same size

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

^ Thanks. I think I am leaning towards the 205/45/16. Have you ever tried any other size? Like the 215's mentioned above, or maybe even a 205/40 ?

BTW, although the angle of the picture doesn't really show this, I like how your fronts do not look too pushed out off the car.
        Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M-TRD3 View Post
          ^ Thanks. I think I am leaning towards the 205/45/16. Have you ever tried any other size? Like the 215's mentioned above, or maybe even a 205/40 ?
          I may be picking some up some Style 5's in the near future and I'll be using my old tires, 215/45/16's.

If I do go that route I'll post pics.

Last edited by yobless; 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: posted pix

Comment

I think I am going to go 205/45. Has anyone heard of running these wheels in a staggered setup? They come in both 16x7 and 16x8, so if I had a staggered set, using the 7" pair up front, wouldn't that avoid the need for any spacers at all?

Hopefully Matt-B can chime in as I think he knows a fair amount about these wheels.

Comment

205/45/16 is perfect.
              You will not rub in the rear at ANY height even if your fenders aren't rolled.
              This is the setup I trotted around with before I installed my spacers which required a good roll.
              No need to worry about the front either with this size.
              Yes it is on the stretched side, but not an aggressive stretch whatsoever.

pic w/o spacers:

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

disagree.

225/45-16 - correct diameter
                225/40-16
                245/35-16

put some real meat on those.
                http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                  disagree.

225/40-16
                  245/35-16

Seriously! What the fuck is all this 205 bs? Who cares about a little fender roll.

It's an 8in wheel, get some real tire sizes on those bitches.
                  ***Affordable Powder Coating Here:***
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=1#post2074588
                  *** Bay Area/NorCal Fender Rolling Here: ***
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...29#post1989029

***If you've ever bought anything from/dealt with me please add feedback!!:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=137611***

Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                    disagree.

225/40-16
                    245/35-16

I agree. First set of tires was 205-45 RS-2's and they ran wide so they fit the bill. New tires are direzza dz101's in the same size, they run a tad narrow, im a little dissapointed.

225's, and dont be scared about making them fit. If back rubs, cut it out, or raise it up a bit.
                    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

205/50/16 nitto neo gen

245/45/16s toyo t1s

and my new favorite tires are ventus hrII 215/40/16

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Has anyone tried these rims out with a 5mm spacer up front and a 15mm in the back? I am trying to gauge how it would look. My ideal setup was a 5mm up front and 10mm in the back (conservative approach), until I found out the custom spacers I was ordering from our guy on the site do not come with a hub centric lip if they are below 14mm, and that had me a bit concerned about the 10mm's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodoni View Post
                          Seriously! What the fuck is all this 205 bs? Who cares about a little fender roll.

It's an 8in wheel, get some real tire sizes on those bitches.
                          ^

225/45-16 BFG KDW on mine. i have e36/z3 suspension, so i had to pull the fenders a lot. but yeah, if you're gonna run that much wheel, don't waste your time with a 205 tire.
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Is yobless running adapters or redrilled? Most of these look like redrilled fitment.
                            View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Bumping an old thread, folks.

I am very aware it's not ideal, but has anyone ran a 225/45 while running 18mm adapters, effectively giving you et5? I'm not worried about the rear, I'm worried about the front.

I have a GC setup, but I'm not going to be very low, just a functional height, much like IE3s or the like, maybe even a bit higher.

I have a roller and plan to use it.

Thoughts?
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X