head gasket leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket leak

a E30 325is 88 model im looking at has a headgasket leak and its also due for timing belt change. is replaced the headgasket and radiator part of the timing belt job ?

1988 325is black, 1 owner, 1500$ but its auto. 9/10 exterior and interior. i think its a good deal right ? :D it just needs the headgasket and timing belt addressed.

Timing belt is part of a headgasket job, but not the other way around.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

It would be advantageous to replace the H20 pump and reseal the front end of the motor if any leaks. No need to replace the radiator unless the PO poured some Witch Doctor Head Gasket sealant juice into the cooling system. The juice can cause problems in the cooling system. If it's had the Witch Doctor treatment the heater core could be suspect for future problems. You will need a 32mm/1.25" reasonably thin open end to remove the Left hand thread Cooling Fan nut. There is more to do if it's leaking oil from the front end of the motor. If your going to keep the car it's wise to fix the leaks while into the engine while doing a timing belt water pump job. Mr. Noid has a very good synopsis of cooling system problems on his RTSAUTO.com site.
      Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 07-28-2014, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Well damn, that^^ was helpful.

OP, a clean body and interior is probably worth $1500 depending on the market in your area. But I would try to argue him down to at least $1000 since it has a blown head gasket and you are essentially buying a rolling shell and not a running car.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I love in upstate New York, were rust is a constant threat, and I paid 1400 for my gf's e30. 87 325i auto with cardinal interior, and needed the radiator, cam, and head gasket replaced, but was complete, well equipped, and has very minimal rust. I would say it was worth it, considering our location.

If you love somewhere that e30's are a little more plentiful, I'd say keep looking, but if they are as rare as they are around me, it would probably be worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X