No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automotive touch up dot com they can make oem colors in Aerosol cans and offer high quality primer clear etc . If you have average shop skills I'd say you could have excellent results for about $80.00. Check them out you'll be happy you did.

F30...........lol🤣
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Glad the SI board worked out for you!

I may give that shop a call depending on your experience. I basically need the exact same parts painted lol!

Comment

Originally posted by quanaman View Post
        Glad the SI board worked out for you!

I may give that shop a call depending on your experience. I basically need the exact same parts painted lol!
        Thanks for the cluster. It worked out great. And your new e30 convertible looks like it's in amazing condition!

I'll let you know how the body shop works out. I still need to order the parts. Hoping to order them this week (still shopping around and checking availability).

Comment

I had a lead on a small case 4.10 LSD. It turns out it's a medium case 4.10 LSD. It has low mileage (100K) and has been on a VERY well maintained e30 convertible (auto). And it's local!

I've read a few e30 small vs medium diff threads on r3v. It appears to be a direct swap. The medium case weighs about 20 pounds more than the small case, but obviously handles more torque.

I'm not sure if I should go for the medium case or continue searching for a small case 4.10 LSD.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            I had a lead on a small case 4.10 LSD. It turns out it's a medium case 4.10 LSD. It has low mileage (100K) and has been on a VERY well maintained e30 convertible (auto). And it's local!

I've read a few e30 small vs medium diff threads on r3v. It appears to be a direct swap. The medium case weighs about 20 pounds more than the small case, but obviously handles more torque.

I'm not sure if I should go for the medium case or continue searching for a small case 4.10 LSD.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated!
            Go with the medium case/
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Follow your heart.

But don't go complaining every time you have to explain to someone that you have the wrong diff in there.

I got incredibly lucky with mine. I would not put a medium case in a 318iS with a stock m42. You won't catch me slipping like that.
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                Go with the medium case/
                Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                I got incredibly lucky with mine. I would not put a medium case in a 318iS with a stock m42. You won't catch me slipping like that.
                I'm torn. I've read it's *mostly* a direct swap save for adjusting the prop length (according to http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...p/Differential).

I had initially planned to stay small case and turned down a medium case 3.73 not long ago. If I were going medium case, I probably should've gotten the 3.73. I'm leaning towards continuing to search for a small case 4.10 LSD, which is what the car would have come with from BMW.

In other news, I just dropped a boatload of cash on new, factory-primed, genuine BMW front "is" lip, rear "is" spoiler, and associated clips/hardware. I'm hoping to receive it in the next week and then drop it off for paint.

Comment

I'm torn. I've read it's *mostly* a direct swap save for adjusting the prop length (according to http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...p/Differential).

I had initially planned to stay small case and turned down a medium case 3.73 not long ago. If I were going medium case, I probably should've gotten the 3.73. I'm leaning towards continuing to search for a small case 4.10 LSD, which is what the car would have come with from BMW.

In other news, I just dropped a boatload of cash on new, factory-primed, genuine BMW front "is" lip, rear "is" spoiler, and associated clips/hardware. I'm hoping to receive it in the next week and then drop it off for paint.
                  Bunch of money? The lip is $130 from FCPeuro, since they're in CT, parts normally get to northern VA in 2 days. The trunk spoiler is around the same price, maybe a bit more.

Comment

Bunch of money? The lip is $130 from FCPeuro, since they're in CT, parts normally get to northern VA in 2 days. The trunk spoiler is around the same price, maybe a bit more.
                    Front lip is $173 at FCP (51711968488): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-51711968488

Doesn't look like they carry the primed rear spoiler (51711967950), but it's $205 at ECS.

I ordered from getbmwparts.com which had prices cheaper than most sites, plus the shipping was cheaper as well.

Comment

@freshTB Yeah but a bunch of money is relative homie. Don't put him down because he's excited about cool new parts for his car... It was a rather pointless comment

@mike Glad you're enjoying the tune, hope you see some better mpg too. The prop adjustment is pretty easy, so if you can find a meddiff for a good deal in good condition, you might as well go with it. I guess my other question is, why not just have your diff rebuilt? Is there a reason you're replacing it? Sorry if I missed where you already said that

Comment

Front lip is $173 at FCP (51711968488): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-51711968488

Doesn't look like they carry the primed rear spoiler (51711967950), but it's $205 at ECS.

I ordered from getbmwparts.com which had prices cheaper than most sites, plus the shipping was cheaper as well.
                        Fcpeuro prices matches with everything they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                          @freshTB Yeah but a bunch of money is relative homie. Don't put him down because he's excited about cool new parts for his car... It was a rather pointless comment

@mike Glad you're enjoying the tune, hope you see some better mpg too. The prop adjustment is pretty easy, so if you can find a meddiff for a good deal in good condition, you might as well go with it. I guess my other question is, why not just have your diff rebuilt? Is there a reason you're replacing it? Sorry if I missed where you already said that
                          Put him down? You're reading too much into it. Nice plugin though.

Comment

True. I'm a cheap bastard. So $400 for unnecessary car parts isn't the easiest for me to swallow. I'm much more willing to spend the money on fixing mechanical issues. The car doesn't need much aesthetically. It has all original paint, minimal dings, and it has never been in an accident. The cracking rear spoiler and front lip were letting the rest of the exterior down, so that's why I want to replace them.

My current diff is an open diff. The bushing is shot. I figured instead of replacing the bushing I'd just find the correct LSD to swap in.

Fcpeuro prices matches with everything they sell.
                            I didn't realize they price matched. I'll have to take advantage of that next time. I've ordered a ton of parts from FCP for my Volvo 240. They have excellent customer service and pretty good prices. Great business.

Thanks for your input on the diff and other things. Hope to see you at C&C sometime soon and check out the new ride!

Comment

How did you get an open diff in there? I don't think I've seen an "iS" model that didn't come with an LSD from factory

Comment

How did you get an open diff in there? I don't think I've seen an "iS" model that didn't come with an LSD from factory
                                It was a factory option back then. Some buyers optioned to get the LSD, some buyers didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X