MD Historic Tags : Sneaking Legislation! ALERT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
    Really? It was once 25 years old in MD at one time then they changed it to 20 for Historics, its just this time you'll need classic insurance to get the tags and back to 25 years old. So there will be a few historic daily drivers coming off of the roads. I fail to see where this is about revenue. You guys only have one time inspection right? And thats when you first buy the car too, isnt it? Having the car having to get classic ins will put a halt on people daily driving them. Not to gain revenue. If i'm missing something, fill me in. Cause i'm open to other peoples thoughts and info on this.
    I can almost assure you its to get dd histories off the road. In some ways, it has very much to do with money, not so much with the state necessarily, but with insurance companies. Insurance is so much cheaper, as I'm sure you know, for historic's. Thats at least how I see it. Its crazy though, If you really looked into it, its better to drive an old car, then to buy a new car(energy/ environmentally speaking). So I see no reason in rewarding those who continue to drive old cars as dd's, not punish them.

Now, I've also heard the argument that it keeps unsafe cars off the road. Really? With the current inspection laws we have right now, cars could be just as unsafe wether or not they're on historics when they're not supposed to be.

Again, just my opinions...

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
      I can almost assure you its to get dd histories off the road. In some ways, it has very much to do with money, not so much with the state necessarily, but with insurance companies. Insurance is so much cheaper, as I'm sure you know, for historic's. Thats at least how I see it. Its crazy though, If you really looked into it, its better to drive an old car, then to buy a new car(energy/ environmentally speaking). So I see no reason in rewarding those who continue to drive old cars as dd's, not punish them.

Now, I've also heard the argument that it keeps unsafe cars off the road. Really? With the current inspection laws we have right now, cars could be just as unsafe wether or not they're on historics when they're not supposed to be.

Yeah i only pay $45 every 6mo on my Classic ins. And no the people who drive the older cars as dailys dont need punished either. I've drove an older car all my life, its rare if i ever owned anything newer then 15yo. But they was always up to snuff except for no cats. Will this improve on safety? A little maybe...

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Yeah i only pay $45 every 6mo on my Classic ins. And no the people who drive the older cars as dailys dont need punished either. I've drove an older car all my life, its rare if i ever owned anything newer then 15yo. But they was always up to snuff except for no cats. Will this improve on safety? A little maybe...
        Md is just ridiculous when it comes to their laws. I got a ticket a few months back, due to a "serious safety related issue". The problem? I had a glass pack, not an "approved muffler".

Go here be happy!

Comment

lol, IDK if your car is more environmentally friendly than "buying a new car"....;)
          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Md is just ridiculous when it comes to their laws. I got a ticket a few months back, due to a "serious safety related issue". The problem? I had a glass pack, not an "approved muffler".
            lol, i run basicly open headers in your state. Although i dont live in it so i'm safe :)

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

I run regular insurance on my two antique-plated cars. My insurance company knows I drive under 1000 miles per year on them, and charges me accordingly. They don't care how I have them registered.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                lol, IDK if your car is more environmentally friendly than "buying a new car"....;)
                Hey, as far as anyone knows I drive a small, old bmw with a 4 cylinder ;)

lol, i run basicly open headers in your state. Although i dont live in it so i'm safe :)
                Hahah, thats the issue. My car will be open headers for a few months...

Go here be happy!

Comment

I run regular insurance on my two antique-plated cars. My insurance company knows I drive under 1000 miles per year on them, and charges me accordingly. They don't care how I have them registered.
                  Mine made sure i had Antique tags! I had State Farm in Ill also and they let me run regular tags there.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

I'd say it is. Even if his car spews out un-catted smog, the amount of pollution created from manufacturing a new car far outweighs the amount of pollution that comes out the tailpipe over its whole life. Think of all the materials and components needed to create a new car, and think about how they are made and all the waste involved in the processes.
                    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                      I'd say it is. Even if his car spews out un-catted smog, the amount of pollution created from manufacturing a new car far outweighs the amount of pollution that comes out the tailpipe over its whole life. Think of all the materials and components needed to create a new car, and think about how they are made and all the waste involved in the processes.
                      ah, the "macro relativity" argument . I can't disprove your statement. And you can't prove your statement. It's a completely academic argument and we both know it.

Right up there with the guy with the Viper saying his car is more earth-friendly than a Prius because of all those nasty batteries....

And it would only really apply if he was going to drive his V8 e30 for the rest of his life. He's going to get another car someday, I'm betting. If he buys it now, he can probably afford a fuel-sipping civic. If he buys it in 10 years, he'll make enough money to buy something with 400hp. So you can look at it that way too: Buying a low-buck low-end Corolla today saves the earth way better than waiting 10 years when you can buy a high-buck, high-polluting ride.

Again though, the argument is all academic and could go on and on forever in every direction, so let's not bother :)

If this was a forum about saving the earth, maybe a worthwhile discussion. On a car enthusiast forum, I think it's a fair bet that nobody in this thread is concerned with how much their car or life is polluting.

And using the argument vis-a-vis the antique car law is ludicrous. If Stuart was swapping a catted M10 into his car, he could make that argument that driving his old car is better for the earth. But he's swapping a catless V8 into it, so he would have no leg to stand on pulling the "better for the earth" card, since we know he doesn't give a shit about it.

On a side note, I don't really care either. I just like arguing, and I don't want to see the vintage tag laws abused, because then I won't have the benefit of using them within the limitations of the law, which is all I want to do.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

It makes 400ftlbs of torque stock ;)

But honestly, as much as I don't want to be ruining these types of tags for other enthusiast such as you, and so many more, the laws also don't make sense to me. Buy an electric car that has destroyed parts of Canada to mine for batteries, or continue to drive an old car. Either way, money will be put into the economy. If that is what this is about. I don't understand, and never have, why there has to be milage limits and such. Wasn't the original point of historic tags that cars, after a certain point, will not meet the more recent laws of modern day? As far I know, many other states have 2 different kinds of plates for old/ vintage/ historic vehicles. One for low milage, pampered vehicles and the other simply for old, regularly driven vehicles. Am I correct on that?

Btw, I'm surprised any of you can take me seriously, I keep laughing whenever I see my avatar.

Go here be happy!

Comment

lol stuart, sorry.. you motor doesnt make 400tq stock

Comment

Originally posted by dnick View Post
                            lol stuart, sorry.. you motor doesnt make 400tq stock
                            Not stock, but as is apparently. And oh well, only 330ft/lbs if its not built, whatever shall I do

Go here be happy!

Comment

You can still get a ticket for noise.

Friend of mine lived in WV and got multiple tickets driving through downtown Frederick.

If this bill passes, it will cost me more money to drive this car. Kind of throws out the point of driving a historic vehicle. I have historic tags on a damn historic vehicle, it should not matter what I do with it. I am restoring the car, and I drive it daily.

There could be other reasons, but it seems to me that every new law that comes around these days is about milking more money out of citizens who are trying to save said money.
                              Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                                You can still get a ticket for noise.

Friend of mine lived in WV and got multiple tickets driving through downtown Frederick.

If this bill passes, it will cost me more money to drive this car. Kind of throws out the point of driving a historic vehicle. I have historic tags on a damn historic vehicle, it should not matter what I do with it. I am restoring the car, and I drive it daily.

There could be other reasons, but it seems to me that every new law that comes around these days is about milking more money out of citizens who are trying to save said money.
                                I can read edits btw. But I have been pulled over multiple times for noise, all they ask is how i get away with it in PA? Few of them complemented me on the car i was in at the time. And asked what i have done to it. They're just doing their job, no matter if you think its revenue or what.

And how is this going to cost you more money? You say you're restoring your car. So that means you are bringing it back to like new condition right? So why wouldnt it matter, its not like you got some clunker that you'll have to fix everything on to get it to pass at inspection time.

I've seen this coming many years ago. I moved back here like 9 years ago. And seen what people was doing with the historic tags. And now it has cought up with them. This isnt really a big shocker to me. I more like got a chuckle out of it and said it took long enough! But i'll bring up something else. MD was 25yo for historics before. But changed to 20, dont recall when they did it. But now they are talking about going back to 25yo. Although the proof of classic ins was something i didnt see coming. But should make things interesting!

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
                                X