Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertible Power Top Questions?

Hi everyone,

I picked up a 92 convertible a few weeks ago and it came with a power top and the PO had disengaged the motors. I took today to look at everything and see what I had.

I did some searching and found this link:

I followed the procedures and I put the motors back in and everything works nicely, sort of...

I tried searching for this, but I couldn't really find much.

So I tested the 4 relays and they have power, I re-engaged the motors per the instructions and adjusted the micro switch. Reaching into the trunk, I am able to fully operate the top up and down and the lid up and down to the point where my arm starts to get pinched but it all works great.

The problem is that it only works great when the car is completely off. Once the ignition is on, the relays get stuck on something and you can still turn the motors if you continuously click the relays.

Also, the switch up at the dash doesn't seem to do anything. The switch seemed to have continuity and I cleaned the points to make sure, and the harness plug seemed to have power as well, but the switch doesn't make anything happen.

Am I getting stuck on some safety mechanism or wiring problem? I don't understand how everything would have voltage/continuity but nothing happens and I don't understand why I can operate the top with the relays but only when the car is completely off.

Also on a side note, since everything works okay, is it possible to bypass the wiring somehow to just operate the lid? I would be completely happy if I could at least get the lid to shut all the way

Thank you!

If you've tried cleaning the switch, I would at this point recommend physically checking the electric motors. You'll want to remove them from the trunk and look at the little brass bushings that are between the case and the shaft of the gears. Sometimes these parts break which increases the play in the gears to the point where the teeth don't mesh together. If both motors aren't working, I would recommend replacing the convertible top computer box.

Comment

Who has a fully working power top? It would be awesome to have pictures of all the mechanical links between the top and the motors. My top has some parts missing and I'd really like to get it all working again
      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

I am in the middle of an electric top retrofit, waiting on parts. Will post pics as I get them, and a dozen or so pics of an existing electric top car
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'm thinking about replacing the computer, but it just sort of seems to me that there is a miscommunication somewhere or some kind of safety feature is making the top not work as it should.

Both of the motors are in great shape and they both work fine. Like I said, using the switch on the dash gets me nothing, but if I press the individual relays on the box, I can get the top to run the full cycle up and down and the lid works too. It just only seems to work by pressing the relays and weirdly enough, only when the car is completely off.

I've seen in a few places where people say the top won't work, and one of the very first checks is to make sure the ignition is on, but that seems to be the opposite for my case.

Since I seem to be 90% there, I can definitely take a bunch of pictures and post them up as reference

Comment

Clearly your motors work then.. Have you been through the top sync procedure described on e30ic.com?

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

And yes please.. do take tons of pics of the top mechanism and motors in the trunk

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Sounds like you have not got the motors synced
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Agree with Todd. Dash switch not activating anything is a symptom of the system not being synchronized correctly.
                  1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Okay that's reassuring. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll try to sync everything again and I'll take a bunch of pictures

Comment

Updates? Did you check out the synchronization procedure on e30ic.com?

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Interested in how this works out. Subbed.
                        sigpic
                        Gun control means using both hands
                        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Sorry, I haven't been able to spend any time on it this weekend, its been raining for the most part. I should be able to get to it over the next few days.

I have looked at the synchronization procedure, I was following those directions the last time that I tried everything. It seems fairly self-explanatory but this part here:

Now the hard part...

You have to lock the lid mechanism with the allen wrench and engage the lid motor at the same time. It took me several tries at this. Try locking the lid half way, then pushing in the motor half way and play with it until the motor pops in and the lid locks at the same time.

If you were successful you can turn the micro switch adjustment screw (located to the left of the allen lid lock point). When you turn the adjustment screw you'll hear a click when the switch turns on or off, you'll have to listen carefully.

I might just be completely off here, but it didn't seem that hard to do? I may have not gotten the lid to fully lock, but it didn't seem like there was any more room left for the lock to be turned further. Plus, my micro switch was making the click sound.

I might just need to re-start from the beginning and see what happens

Comment

just checking ... when you are trying to raise & lower the top, are you making sure that the trunk lid is closed (or almost closed) ... why? ... because there is a bowden cable that hooks onto the trunk's driver's side hinge ... the other end of the cable attaches to the top's boot lid hinge ... purpose of the cable is to prevent the owner from opening the trunk lid while the power top is in motion ... the bowden cable restricts how much the trunk lid will open during the opening procedure ...

the reason for this is because without the bowden cable, the trailing edge of the trunk lid will bang against the trailing edge of the boot's lid while opening/closing the top if you try & open your trunk at the same time ... in other words ... if your trunk lid is open, the power top switch will not work until you close the trunk lid ... hopefully ... this is part of the problem that you're having
                            '92 alpinweiss 5spd cabrio w/mtech appearance package & factory hardtop
                            '95 alpinweiss 528iT
                            '88 dodge ram 50 sport cab

Comment

Updates???

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                              X