No announcement yet.

Some questions on my S52 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the rad switches, the older cars have two, a high and a low. So there are four wires, two grounds, and a high and low wire. Go to the yards and cut off a late model plug. Tie the two ground wires together and connect them to the brown wire on the late model pigtail you cut off. Match up the other two to their respective colors.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
      For the rad switches, the older cars have two, a high and a low. So there are four wires, two grounds, and a high and low wire. Go to the yards and cut off a late model plug. Tie the two ground wires together and connect them to the brown wire on the late model pigtail you cut off. Match up the other two to their respective colors.

And then connect the single plug (with four wires wired to it) to the single rad temp sensor? Then I assume my fan will need to be wired into the aforementioned group of four wires, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nyChris View Post
        I am almost positive the round connector is for the MAF sensor. The two others are disconnected on my obd 1 swap. I think they are emission related iirc.

After posting that pic I figured out that the maf plug looks identical but is elsewhere in the harness. I'm pretty sure these three are the O2 sensor (round one), reverse lights which I don't need, and something else that I think is emissions related like you said.

Are most people running an O2 sensor?

Comment

I'm pretty sure this sensor goes between the throttle body and the charcoal canister. It has a plug for a connector but as far as I can tell this connector is not included in my harness. Can I delete the sensor and run the line straight to the canister?

Comment

The plug should be on all harness's. It is your Evap. purge solenoid. Look again, you might have it plugged into something else that shares the same style plug.

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
              The plug should be on all harness's. It is your Evap. purge solenoid. Look again, you might have it plugged into something else that shares the same style plug.

Found it thank you!

Comment

If it was an OBD2 harness, this link may help to identify a few things

If it is an OBD1 harness (which is how it looks to me) this link may help.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  If it was an OBD2 harness, this link may help to identify a few things

If it is an OBD1 harness (which is how it looks to me) this link may help.

Thanks for the link! I actually have that printed out in the garage.

Comment

The best way to definitively know what connectors are what is to use the wire colors leading to the connector (pull back the boot to expose the wires coming off the connector) and reference the ETM - wiring diagrams for that year harness. The ETM will show all of the wire colors etc. so you can be sure you have the right connectors labeled correctly. Also you can trace the wires from the connector to the DME plug and reference the wire position in the DME plug with the pinout found in the ETM. Between these two methods, you will know for sure what is what.

Also... that large round 4 pin connector shown on page one doesn't look like either MAF or O2... looks like the plug for the coil pack harness - what color wires and size wire are going to it?
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                    X