Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with buying stock-ish suspension

So the '87 iS, with it's boaty, uncomfortable ride, is really
    bothering me. Car is running OEM factory Billies (stamped made in w. germany!!!) and they are as blown out as can be (the fronts bottom out a lot), running stock springs etc... so I'm planning a suspension refresh in the springtime. Broke teen protocol mandates that I'm not going to be doing anything fancy, not that I'd like to. I'm not a fan of lowered cars, and the roads here suck anyway, so here's the plan:
    I'm going to change the shocks and strut inserts to KYB's, and naturally all the hardware associated with the job (mounts, spring pads, bumpers, boots), also planning on swaybar bushings and endlinks.

Having been a NE car all it's life, the springs are pretty damn rusty. I haven't tried grinding to see how deep the rust is, but i really think it's best, and cleanest to replace them if possible. only problem is, I can't really find any new springs that AREN'T lowering springs. is there anything i can do, short of waiting for a nice set of OE springs to pop
    up on the FS thread? crazy idea: a slight lowering spring from an iX that is the right size? i'm only talking. Would H&R's OE sport fit my needs?

OPINIONS PLEASE.

--Mike
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

i believe h&r oe sports are about the same ride height as stock but just a little stiffer and "sportier". so they would probably be a good choice.

i would recommend bilstein HD shocks if you're staying at or near stock height. they can't be used on lowered cars like the sport version can, but they are a lot cheaper and pretty much bulletproof.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

A large part of the "boaty" ride you talk about is the stock soft springs. If you want to get rid of that, you are going to need stiffer springs.

I also recommend going with H&R Sports. They do give a slight drop (~1.3" front and rear) and are slightly stiffer, but these two things will help the handle a LOT without sacrificing ride quality. Bilstein HD's would be a good match as well, but you could run the KYB's if you wanted.

IMO, you are better off saving for longer and getting better suspension than cheaping out and getting something mediocre.

Comment

Actually, another option for springs would be E30 M3 springs. They drop right in, give a slight drop (similar or less to H&R Sports) and are a slightly stiffer. Should be able to find a used set cheap.

Comment

I'd go with H&R sports or OE sports. You wont have to use a spring compressor when you reinstall everything, which surprisingly makes it a ton easier.

Also, I do NOT suggest getting Bilstein HD's. The ride is harsh! KYB is where the money is, for a nice soft ride. Please stay clear of those HD's.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I have a set of KYBs that i used on my '89 for about 500 miles, pm me if you want to buy them. I'll give you a good deal.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I've been running H&R OE sports and Bilstein HD's for around a year. It feels a little harsh sometimes going over bad railroad tracks or bad pot holes but other than that I don't really have any complaints. I did go from blown shocks and stock springs to this setup though so anything was going to be better. It lowered my car by probably less than an inch. I used to be able to just fit my jack underneath my oil pain at stock height. It's just barely low enough that it won't fit now, hopefully that helps give you an idea.
              What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
              90 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                I'd go with H&R sports or OE sports. You wont have to use a spring compressor when you reinstall everything, which surprisingly makes it a ton easier.

Also, I do NOT suggest getting Bilstein HD's. The ride is harsh! KYB is where the money is, for a nice soft ride. Please stay clear of those HD's.
                hah didn't know that about the compressor.

sounds like the OE sports are the way to go. thanks for the feedback guys, you're always so helpful

--Mike
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

E30 M3 springs are where it's at. I've had them for a few years now and love them for DD use. I also highly recommend Koni SAs, but cost is an issue there.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I just finished my suspension update on my 1990 325is. Previously I was on stock springs, KYB struts/shocks with 15 mm drop hats and with a 14.5 mm bar in the rear. Ride was OK but the car did not stick to the road as I was expecting for an E30. I was going for stock upgrade and not to low.

I went with H&R OE Sport and Bilstein HD struts/shocks. I went with 10 mm upper spring pad in the rear (vice 5 or 7.5 mm) and 3mm upper spring pad in the rear (vice 10 mm). I kept my 15 mm drop hats. The ride is good and the car sticks to the road. Surprisingly the set up is lower than I expected. Drop in the front is 1 3/4" (drop hats adding 3/4") and rear is 1 1/2". It looks really good, but it is low in the front so I have to be more careful driving.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I also wanted to retain as much of the original feel and not have the car lower and stiffer. I replaced my front strut inserts and the front springs with oem items ordered through a dealer. They had to order the springs from Germany and they were expensive.

The difference between "old and tired" oem and new oem is amazing. The ride is compliant and well controlled and the car feels much more secure over broken city pavement. The difference is night and day.

Comment

i'm excited to finally get everything ordered up and such. I just want the car to basically feel like it did new. also, I'm thinking that since they're cheap enough, I'm going to get some poly sway bar bushings from autozone haha :))

--Mike
                        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

FWIW, I did the H&R OE/Bilstein HD on my 325is and found it to be much lower than advertised and much harsher. If potholes or rippled pavement is common in your area, you might find a twin-tube like koni/kyb to be way more comfortable.

Comment

Suspension is one of the places where saving money for the sake of saving money isn't worth it. If you don't know what kind of ride you want, get Koni SAs. That way, you can adjust them and find your sweet spot.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by noahsense View Post
                              FWIW, I did the H&R OE/Bilstein HD on my 325is and found it to be much lower than advertised and much harsher. If potholes or rippled pavement is common in your area, you might find a twin-tube like koni/kyb to be way more comfortable.
                              Yeah, especially after this hard winter navigating the roads up here is like driving on the surface of the moon. I'm planning on going with KYB's, twin tube, and half the price of the Billies.

--Mike
                              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                              X