Helical LSD Differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helical LSD Differential

Has anybody tried this and what is your opinion or any info on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Helical-...9WhcAa&vxp=mtr

I havent had one in an e30, but i had one in my old s15 silvia. the s15 silvia turbos come with them standard.

I think they are quite a good LSD, do you understand how they work? and how they differ from a clutch pack? if not do some research because its quite interesting and a pretty cleaver design.

I think they are a great street LSD, i only ever drove my car on the street. they are kind of a "safe" lsd in that the two wheels don't lockup like a clutch pack lsd.

Not the best for drifting for the same above reason, the wheels don't lock together, but for general hooning around the street i think they are a good idea.

However if i was going to the effort of installing an lsd, im not sure id pick a helical over a clutch pack unless it was uber cheap. you do have to make sure the clutch pack lsd is in good condition though, the helical doesn't have clutches so not much can wear out.

Comment

Thanks, I do understand how it works with the angle helical gears and how the gears slide endwise with a force proportional to the torque on the wheels. I wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with this specific brand or manufacturer on ebay.

Comment

oh sorry i misinterpreted your first post.

300bucks brand new? Seems too cheap...

Comment

OBX - crap. if you want a gear type unit order from wavetrac; they are local in southern california. You get what you pay for-

a E30 OEM ZF lsd cost from BMW (when it was avail and not NLA) was ~ $1600usd for LSD unit alone; no diff.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
          X