No announcement yet.

The Welding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome. I'm going to be teaching myself how to wed soon enough. If it fails miserably I'll invest in a class. My older sister welded professionally for a bit then changed gears and moved out to the west coast but left all of her welding gear at my parents. So I think it's about time I put it back to good use!

Comment

I love tig. Finally got the machine fixed at work, so I'm using it every chance I get.
      Attached Files
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Built this out of 2x2 square tube. I just migged it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Who has welded 2 cans together? I've tried a couple times but failed miserably.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            Takes lots of practice, clean them very good and make sure you have a good ground! Also start your ark over the filler rod because the hf start will blow through the cans. I usually set the welder around 30 amps and go light on the peddle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Thank you, I'll try that out! Need to get my own machine, but luckily my employer encourages me to mess around with the welder when things are slow! Makes it easy to keep myself busy.
              No E30 Club

Comment

So, I just started learning how to mig weld at work recently, and my biggest problem is keeping my welds straight and not leaky. Sometimes, I bust through the exhaust piping and have to patch and weld over, or gas weld any leaks shut.

Do any of you have some good advice for a beginner?
                "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                  So, I just started learning how to mig weld at work recently, and my biggest problem is keeping my welds straight and not leaky. Sometimes, I bust through the exhaust piping and have to patch and weld over, or gas weld any leaks shut.

Do any of you have some good advice for a beginner?
                  For mig welding thin exhausts ive found doing short bursts tacks all they way around. Like 1-2sec tact then pause then overlap the next tact by about 50%. Works for me but everyone is a bit different, hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I am discovering that wire speed and heat levels are absolutely critical. I know that's an obvious statement, but you just can't throw the recommended setting on and run with it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      Butt-welded the bottoms together, no success patching a cut can.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Work asked if I wanted to take a shot at this cast aluminum. Not one to turn down an opportunity, I went for it.

I'm happy with the results, first time. Definitely had to learn an entire new technique on this one.

Attached Files
                        No E30 Club

Comment

I feel like my old auto-darken helmet isn't providing much (if any) protection, so it's time to buy a new one. I'm just doing the occasional exhaust patch or other small random stuff, so I don't need a professional helmet. That being said, I plan to buy one helmet to use it for years and don't want my eyes to feel itchy after welding.

Anyone have any suggestions? This HF helmet is going to be $43. Is that a good idea, or being risky with my eyes?
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                            I feel like my old auto-darken helmet isn't providing much (if any) protection, so it's time to buy a new one. I'm just doing the occasional exhaust patch or other small random stuff, so I don't need a professional helmet. That being said, I plan to buy one helmet to use it for years and don't want my eyes to feel itchy after welding.

Anyone have any suggestions? This HF helmet is going to be $43. Is that a good idea, or being risky with my eyes?
                            Most auto darken helmets have an adjustment, is it turned all the way up? Also, sometimes they have to sit in the sun for a bit to fully charge, the sensor can be dirty, or the back up batteries need replacement. Mine usually last many many years - that being said, I have been using the HF hoods for years.

john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

It's got great reviews.. I'm actually interested in one now...

Mine is taking forever to switch from light to dark, and it's super annoying...

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                                It's got great reviews.. I'm actually interested in one now...

Mine is taking forever to switch from light to dark, and it's super annoying...
                                There should be a little dial on the inside near the lens that adjusts the speed of the darkening - even the HF ones have them.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X