E46 330 rack into E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 330 rack into E30

Well my rack shit the bed today, decided to put in an e46 rack 25892-330ci from rack doctor, just ordered the rack. Total cost of rebuilt rack was 239.00. Putting it in an airbagged car along with my rebuilt engine.

M20 bored to 85mm with VAC 10.25 stroker pistons
    81mm crank
    Stock 135mm rods
    19 lb injectors
    272 cam Ireland Engineering
    1mm oversized valves
    Port and polished head
    NO MAF yet
    Stock Exhaust

Will modify the firewall, some folks say nothing to the steering knuckle, will find out soon enough.

If anyone is interested will post pics of the install

I've never heard of anyone putting the e46 rack in to an e30, only the e36 rack. Sub'd to see results.

Comment

Definitely post pics and what mods are necessary.

Is there a particular reason you didn't just go with an E36 rack or did you just feel like seeing what it would take to the make the E46 unit work?
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        Definitely post pics and what mods are necessary.

Is there a particular reason you didn't just go with an E36 rack or did you just feel like seeing what it would take to the make the E46 unit work?
        I was going to do a z3 rack for the ratio, however the price was around 100 dollars more (If I keep parts under 300 dollars at a time wife doesn't flip when I don't tell her). After doing research I found the ratio of the 330 e46 was similarly as quick (on paper), was progressive vs linear allowing for sneeze room on the highway, and I had heard of people doing the swap and wanted to see what it took exactly to do the swap. Worse case scenario it doesn't work, however, folks swap e46 racks into e36's so doubtful this will happen.

Supposedly shipped yesterday, hopefully it will be here by this weekend so i can do the swap, if not it will have to wait due to work 2 weeks.

Comment

What is this rack doctor you speak of?
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

I have one in both my race car, and road e30. Bolts on the same as any other e36/z3 swap.

I don't know about the PS Lines though, because I run it manual. Also don't know about the rack ends. As I'm using a motorsport style with rod ends on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              I've never heard of anyone putting the e46 rack in to an e30, only the e36 rack. Sub'd to see results.
              I remember a thread doing this here somewhere............

found it

Last edited by drumad; 03-03-2011, 06:57 AM.
              2008 335i - n54b30
              1991 318i - m52b28
              1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

I should note that I used e46 M3 racks in my cars not sure if there is a difference. I doubt it in mounting maybe lock to lock.

Comment

some e36 guys use ZHP racks in their cars. I assume it would be able to be swapped into the E30 as easy as an E36 rack
                  -Alex

Comment

hey i know this is off topic, sort of...
                    i'm thinking of modifying my m20, how much HP is your stroker putting down?
                    how much did it cost you?
                    appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                      hey i know this is off topic, sort of...
                      i'm thinking of modifying my m20, how much HP is your stroker putting down?
                      how much did it cost you?
                      appreciate it
                      No idea, on the horsepower and the cost....

Vac Motorsport pistons 1199
                      Cam, oil pan and timing cover R3V 25
                      Engine block and manual transmission R3V 400
                      Sachs Clutch Kit Bav Auto 225
                      Bearings gaskets ignition etc Auto Hausz 500
                      Lightened Flywheel 12 lbs Machine shop local 150
                      Machine work (boring and cleaning) 225

Total bottom end and transmission 2824

Top End

Valve job port and polish/installation of cam 400
                      Valves IE 200
                      Cam IE 325

Total top end 925

Total into engine 3749

I'm happy with it vs an s5x swap for the mere fact that its true to the car somewhat and I have a new engine, I personally built, that I know the history down to the last bolt. I could quote dyno numbers if I actually cared, but in the end it really comes down to does it drive well...YES

and yes it will now outrun the wifes 750il

Comment

Just finished the swap and it was easier than i thought, took about 4 hours total. I have an airbag car was ready to modify the firewall, as needed for e36 swaps, but didn't need to. I did need to swap out inner tie rods from my old rack, but it really was a straight forward swap. Had to drill a hole for the steering knuckle a little higher on the shaft, but it still is biting into teeth the hole way. L to R is 3 full turns, will test drive when i put engine back in, hopefully tomorrow. Will post pics later.

Comment

I am curious as to your impressions on driving. Looking to do something like this as well.

Cheers,

Blake

Comment

Originally posted by dswenfl View Post
                            Just finished the swap and it was easier than i thought, took about 4 hours total. I have an airbag car was ready to modify the firewall, as needed for e36 swaps, but didn't need to. I did need to swap out inner tie rods from my old rack, but it really was a straight forward swap. Had to drill a hole for the steering knuckle a little higher on the shaft, but it still is biting into teeth the hole way. L to R is 3 full turns, will test drive when i put engine back in, hopefully tomorrow. Will post pics later.
                            Very cool! Post pics and maybe impressions/review?

Slow speed
                            Fast speed
                            Turn in
                            Dead-play?
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Anymore info on this swap??

Comment

Working...
                              X